Akadama questions

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"The local Southern States carries Chicken Grit grower size, which is decomposed granite."

It's not decomposed granite. It's crushed granite. They're not the same thing. I've used turkey grit (chicken grit is too fine) for years, I use "starter" and "grower" grade depending on the size of tree. Crushed granite, ironically, is an ingredient that is pretty local to the eastern US, because it is locally quarried and used in huge poultry growing operations up and down the coast. Further West, chicken grit is crushed oyster shells...

Decomposed granite--look down on this page:
http://www.pleasantvalleylandscape.com/PleasantValleyLandscape/Rock.html
Weathered granite is not sharp edged and is porous. Crushed granite is not. Decomposed granite is common in the western US as it is part of the landscape and a primary component of some desert soils. Forms of it are also used in road construction--it compacts VERY well to form firm support for road beds...

I'd argue that pumice and Akadama are not very available in the Eastern US, even on the I-95 corridor. I live in one of the biggest metro areas on 1-95. I've searched for pumice, akadama and other Japanese soil ingredients for some time. They're not easy to find and when you see them, they're VERY expensive--I've seen a double line bag of fired Akadama priced at $70...I've also seen it for $45, but it wasn't at a retailer that was easy to find for most folks.

Tachigi website lists pumice for about $5 a gallon. That's not bad--unless you're using 35 gallons of bonsai soil a year-$175 (plus $10 shipping--). I can make 35 gallons of bonsai soil from haydite, quartz sand, composted bark for about half that from ingredients I can find within two miles of my house.

The truckload idea is cheaper and can be very good, but you have to have a club to do that, or at least a group of interested people--easier said than done in a lot of places where bonsaiists are rare---like West Virginia, Southside Virginia...

Last edited:

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
My apologies, I was going from memory. Here's what I have been using, http://www.cooperseeds.com/images/grit.jpg.

I thought I remembered somewhere on the bag it read "DG", but could be wrong. Either way, here's some more info on the stuff, http://www.jefo.ca/fiches_anglais/poultry_granite.html.

Also, I don't use fired Akadama. I use Double Line Brand "hard quality" Akadama.

Double also, if you contact Drystall I'm sure they'll help you locate a dealer near you.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No apologies necessary.

"Granni Grit" is what I've been using for some time. The bag doesn't say anything about being decomposed. Decomposed granite would not be useful in poultry farms, as it lacks the sharp edges the birds need to grind up their dinner ;-)

This only points up the scarcity of these choice ingredients. While most US Westerners understand what DG is, most US easterners do not. It is not readily available in these parts, neither is pumice (ask for pumice sand at nurseries or hardware stores here in the Metro DC area and you will get a blank state or a sense that you are about to be fleeced. "Sure we can get it. We'll have to ship it in. Might cost you a bit...":D

I just bought a twenty lb bag (I think it's 20...) of double line "soft" akadama last fall for about $40. It's not much to work with. I plan to use it in a larger batch of my regular mix.

Last edited:

Tavimh

Seed
Reaction score
Akadama and Freezing

in northern japan, they use akadama only. hard particle can cause damage to the roots when the water turn to ice. we know that water will expand when it turn to ice. hard particle will crush the roots. water can also break the pots.

through out japan, they face the same problem we have. it freezes and thaw in winter. they keep the tree growing healthy using akadama.

I live around Denver Colorado and we have a lot of freezing and thawing cycles like that on the weekly basis in winter. This winter has been mild, but usually it'll blizzard or be snowy and cold for a day or two, and then sunny and warm and all the snow melts away. This will repeat this over and over. Should I worry about this when selectng soil?

For my one maple tree that I keep in the garage, should I consider straight Akadama for re-potting? I've just got the one outdoor tree and am still learning the basics about bonsai. My tree is about a foot high, a Sharp's Pygmy Maple graft....and I have no idea what to repot it in this spring when I move it to a bonsai pot. Any suggestions?

Stimmie1

Sapling
Reaction score
Get with your local club for what works best in your area. As mentioned before, they have done the leg work and would be more than happy to help you. If I remember correctly, Denver can be very dry desert like conditions in the Summer. So check with your local club, you can't go wrong.

Jim

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I live around Denver Colorado and we have a lot of freezing and thawing cycles like that on the weekly basis in winter. This winter has been mild, but usually it'll blizzard or be snowy and cold for a day or two, and then sunny and warm and all the snow melts away. This will repeat this over and over. Should I worry about this when selectng soil?

For my one maple tree that I keep in the garage, should I consider straight Akadama for re-potting? I've just got the one outdoor tree and am still learning the basics about bonsai. My tree is about a foot high, a Sharp's Pygmy Maple graft....and I have no idea what to repot it in this spring when I move it to a bonsai pot. Any suggestions?

Your biggest worry in conditions like this is a premature emergence from dormancy of some species of trees, mostly Maples and the like. You have to remember that a bonsai pot is an environment unto itself. When exposed to sun it warms up rapidly, when exposed to freezing it will freeze quicker. The important thing is keeping the trees out of direct sun light and the pots mulched so as to keep them from thawing out too early. My rule of thumb to keeping a tree through the winter: Once it freezes up don't let it thaw out.

As to soil; finding out what local growers use is important. As to Akadama, this argument has gone around on the net almost anywhere you find people growing bonsai. For the most part, and personally, I find the cost of Akadama far exceeds the value of its use in the face of the cost of alternatives. I am not saying that Akadama is bad, I am saying that it is not as great as its price tag.

Many people buy the argument that if it comes from Japan it must be good.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Akadama, good stuff, just get the high fired red line stuff.

Harry

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I get my soil from the same people that make my cars. Why argue about facts. There are just some things that the Japanese do better.

If you really want the cats meow, you need a pot full of calidama. It will last forever and retains moisture like akadama but will retain its shape. It can be reused many times after washing and resifting for organic matter (weeds).

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I get my soil from the same people that make my cars. Why argue about facts. There are just some things that the Japanese do better.

If you really want the cats meow, you need a pot full of calidama. It will last forever and retains moisture like akadama but will retain its shape. It can be reused many times after washing and resifting for organic matter (weeds).

I thought you had a Yugo.......

keep it green,
Harry

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
With re. to what Tom was talking about, he has a delivery service, and trucks the stuff up the coast pretty cheaply, worth a check see anyway.

Western Massachusetts we use eaqual parts for the most part - turface, sandblasting sand, and pine bark mulch. we have started using haydite(cheap componant here anyway) in place of the sand, although it is somewhat large, but good size stuff is screenable. I also use some lava and akadama depending on what I am potting.

Top Bottom