All Hail Breaks Loose

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know the rest of the country has endured worse weather, but I'm a weather wimp. It rarely hails on the Central Coast of California. Here are a few photos of newly repotted trees and few tropicals.

Attachments

• hail-1.jpg
    hail-1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 107
  • hail-2.jpg
    hail-2.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 90
  • hail-3.jpg
    hail-3.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 96

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
What you experienced is called sleet....:D

This is hail...........:eek:

Harry

Attachments

• hail.JPG
    hail.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 59
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yea Barry, we cant touch that stuff around here. Question is tonight, will we learn our lesson about protecting all that new growth from our false spring. I'll go out and rig my hose mister on a tall bamboo shoot now. Lows in the upper 20's tonight maybe.:(

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'll bet those hurt when you passed 'em.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
It snowed today in Burbank (in Los Angeles) too. Very cold for southern California!

Attachments

• BURBANK SNOW 2-26-11.jpg
    BURBANK SNOW 2-26-11.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 47

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Watching the temps very carefully here. It is a dangerous time of year that is for sure...

Agreed. With temps in the 60' and 70's for 2 weeks, everything is breaking dormancy and pushing tender growth...the tridents, quince, and crab apples have basically leafed out and the rest of the D trees aren't far behind. Friday night, it fell to 32F in the backyard:eek:.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I know the rest of the country has endured worse weather, but I'm a weather wimp. It rarely hails on the Central Coast of California. Here are a few photos of newly repotted trees and few tropicals.

What city are you in, Barry? It's been cold in Petaluma, too (I know we don't get any simpathy from the rest of the country, but we just aren't used to this stuff). It was supposed to snow here the other night but didn't.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Agreed. With temps in the 60' and 70's for 2 weeks, everything is breaking dormancy and pushing tender growth...the tridents, quince, and crab apples have basically leafed out and the rest of the D trees aren't far behind. Friday night, it fell to 32F in the backyard:eek:.

32 degrees probably won't hurt anything but tropicals, assuming it's at that temp for no more than 4-5 hours.

You've all probably weathered whatever was gonna happen by now, but for the future, when it is going to be below freezing briefly in early spring, a light bedsheet spread over your tables and trees is usually the only protection you will need. It is light enough that it should't damage your trees, and it is woven densely enough that it will trap the day's warmth (what there may be of it).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got lucky, dropped to 32F for 4 hours. Soil was semi frozen. Soaked everything last night at 11 pm, that is usually the best thing short of bringing everything inside, which aint going to happen for me. This morning there was a nice layer of ice on everything and the foliage appeared to remain unfrozen under the ice.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What city are you in, Barry? It's been cold in Petaluma, too (I know we don't get any simpathy from the rest of the country, but we just aren't used to this stuff). It was supposed to snow here the other night but didn't.

I live in Santa Maria, about six miles inland halfway between LA and San Francisco.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
yeah dont they all my trees are still dormant:)

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'll bet those hurt when you passed 'em.

:D:D:D

Harry thats what I was going to say, it's not hail til it gets to the size of marbles minimum. Them golf balls hurt like a SOB if you get caught out in it.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
They can play hell with a car too.......:eek:

Harry

Attachments

• DSC00440.JPG
    DSC00440.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC00441.JPG
    DSC00441.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00442.JPG
    DSC00442.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 19

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Back in the early 90's we had golf ball sized hail in a big area, most of the cars actually looked like golf balls after, with all the little dimples they knocked in the sheetmetal. That act of God cost the insurance folks nothing.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You guys in California really have it rough..........:rolleyes:

Harry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjGuGBiFd_s

That lady is hilarious, BTW. Yeah, I know Harry, we're a bunch of pu$#ies out here in CA. I spent the first 20 years of my life in a town called Glasgow, MT up near the Canadian border. Every winter you could expect AT LEAST two weeks of below zero weather. That coupled with the wind-chill factor created temperatures where 80 below zero was not uncommon. I've had my fair share of cold weather (and hail for that matter. Those images of the golf ball sized hail bring back memories I had wanted to forget :D) and I have no desire to do it ever again. So from now on I'll be content to bitch and whine evertime it drops below freezing.

Top Bottom