American Beech Yamidori

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That’s a very neat tree! How long ago was it collected?

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That’s a very neat tree! How long ago was it collected?
Today. Only shot I would probably get at it or I would have waited till spring. I do have a heavily insulated shed it will winter in, doesn't get below freezing in there. Greenhouse should be finished in a couple months as well if I can get time to throw the walls and trusses up. Should get a lot done tomorrow though based on the rain report.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Keep it dormant and don’t let it hard freeze. I have had a few fall collected ones make it just fine without any winter protection here in NC. Just keep in mind that beech can be fickle and most folks don’t consider it a successful collection until it’s made it two years.

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep it dormant and don’t let it hard freeze. I have had a few fall collected ones make it just fine without any winter protection here in NC. Just keep in mind that beech can be fickle and most folks don’t consider it a successful collection until it’s made it two years.
Yeah, no plans to touch it till it has some vigorous growth.

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like it. Doesnt look like you got much of a root ball though, good luck with it.
There was maybe enough feeder roots to total the size of my fist between all of them, the feeder roots were coming off the quarter inch-ish roots coming off the trunk mostly. I didn't think to take a photo. Thanks

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Cool tree, great find! Care for it well and good luck!

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
So you collected it and it went right into the blue pot?

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Was just wondering why you went right to the pot from the ground...

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
I like it! I have a massive one I collected like this! Just FYI I have around 8 American beech and one thing I've learned is that if you let them dry out, you will loose branches - they tend to like a more organic soil.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice find! Personally I’d put some top dressing on the soil to keep the moisture more even. Good looking beech!

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice find! Personally I’d put some top dressing on the soil to keep the moisture more even. Good looking beech!
Late reply, but I did top dress it with sphagnum.

Still hasn't pushed leaves, but it is still alive based on the scratch test. So far out of over a dozen I have collected, only 2 haven't come out of dormancy. Hope this one manages to push.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Late reply, but I did top dress it with sphagnum.

Still hasn't pushed leaves, but it is still alive based on the scratch test. So far out of over a dozen I have collected, only 2 haven't come out of dormancy. Hope this one manages to push.

I collected a large beech last year that slept in until the end of June. It is leafing out now along with all the other beeches. Give yours time, and it should survive.

Top Bottom