American elm

AndrewS1983

Seedling
Reaction score
I found this under this board I think it's pretty awesome ! I live in NE Oklahoma and I am wondering if I can take it or if I should wait till next spring ? It's on my property but it's in a really shady spot . I would like to get it in some sun and cut back! Also not to sure where to cut back I am thinking where it starts to branch out ! Any suggestions are welcome ! Thank youIMG_0781.JPG IMG_0782.JPG IMG_0783.JPG

It'll be happier with its Ass in a warm pot and it's leaves in full sun.

Hack N Dig!

Sorce

Agree. Always better to collect in the spring, but a young elm like that can take a lot of abuse and come back strong.

Is it possible to protect from Dutch Elm disease? I ask because a large one in my yard succumbed several years ago. It was about 2' (0.6m) across at the stump. There are now several smaller American elm coming up in my yard, the largest of which is about 4" (0.1m) across. I wonder how long they'll last before an elm bark beetle finds them and they're doomed. How does one prevent this in potted elms?

Apologies to the OP for the thread drift but it might be something he needs to deal with eventually.

Thanks!

Was told recently that the beetles go for large trees. Hope it's true

The beetle that carries the Dutch elm fungus prefers tall trees, usually over 20 feet. Generally they will ignore small seedlings and trees in pots. In addition, should you get the fungus, Daconil will stop it. In a pot Daconil is effective. So the short answer is nope, dutch elm disease is not a problem.

That's cool ! Im in Claremore but lived in Tulsa most of my life . It seems bonsai in Oklahoma are few and far between I don't even think there is a bonsai nursery in this state haha sad . I'm curious to see how some of my trees hold up in our crazy weather!

There was a place in OKC (Garden Gnome) that regularly brought in trees in training, but sadly they closed their doors recently... or so it seems. I was back there visiting a month ago and passed their boarded up shop. Perhaps they moved.

There's a pretty active club in OKC, with several knowledgeable folks (http://bonsaiclubokc.com). They are perhaps the best resource to help you in that area. Dale Haworth (House of Bonsai in Edmond) has some great trees, and he's in the business of buying and selling, but not your traditional storefront. He does it as a hobby, as I recall. If you're down that way, you should call him and set up an appointment (he only accepts visitors by appointment).

Best wishes for your trees. Yes, the climate in OKC is challenging.

Noah

former Okie, here!

Johnathan, how are those myrtles? Still kicking?

Yes sir Noah they most certainly are! From what I understand they should bloom within the next month or so. I will send you pics for sure, I haven't forgotten about you!

@AndrewS1983 the OKC club is pretty cool. Lots of passion and knowledge. Have you seen any rocky mountain juniper up that way? Thats what I want to collect.

Yes sir Noah they most certainly are! From what I understand they should bloom within the next month or so. I will send you pics for sure, I haven't forgotten about you!

@AndrewS1983 the OKC club is pretty cool. Lots of passion and knowledge. Have you seen any rocky mountain juniper up that way? Thats what I want to collect.
No but I will keep my eyes open , I found a club in Tulsa , haven't gone yet but I will

Back
Top Bottom