American Hornbeam - USDA says it doesn't transplant well?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've read threads here about collecting American hornbeam in which hard root pruning is described and the plant responds well. On the other hand, the USDA

http://plants.usda.gov/factsheet/pdf/fs_caca18.pdf

describes the tree as difficult to transplant. Those two descriptions don't seem to mesh well with each other.

I have an opportunity to collect some hornbeam next spring. Could someone with experience comment on how much root needs to come with the collection? I was planning on treating them like elms - cut the roots hard to make it more convenient for me.

Thanks
Brian

kytombonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Brian, Here in Northern Kentucky and southern Ohio, we have members in our club (Bonsai Society of Greater Cincinnati) that grow and collect American Hornbeam with great success. I have not seen any problems with collecting, removing most heavy roots and repotting. If you collect in the spring as the buds are just starting to move, I don't think you will have any problems.

Tom

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've read threads here about collecting American hornbeam in which hard root pruning is described and the plant responds well. On the other hand, the USDA

http://plants.usda.gov/factsheet/pdf/fs_caca18.pdf

describes the tree as difficult to transplant. Those two descriptions don't seem to mesh well with each other.

I have an opportunity to collect some hornbeam next spring. Could someone with experience comment on how much root needs to come with the collection? I was planning on treating them like elms - cut the roots hard to make it more convenient for me.

Thanks
Brian
American hornbeam is relatively easy to collect. Cut the large roots back with the future bonsai pot in mind, dust with rooting hormone and pot in bonsai mix.

One caution: sometimes borers will do a job on them. It happens with weaker specimens.

I collect in January and February. The wood is pretty tough, so I use a cordless reciprocating saw. Makes fast work of them.

Good luck!

Zach

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the info guys. I can't imagine why a species easy to collect would be perceived to be difficult to transplant....

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
THe USDA classifies them as hard to transplant probably because they're basing it on different methods that we use.

I suspect they're basing the remarks on "get a big rootmass" when digging the plant up. I've collected American hornbeam for year by removing just about all of the root mass and bare rooting the remainder. They respond strongly in regular bonsai soil.

With a huge root ball, the roots can remain soggy and rot...

Top Bottom