American Witch Hazel

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I was fortunate to obtain 2 American Witch Hazels, both in 5" bulb pots. One is clearly marked. However the 2nds, (with a smooth trunk), label is difficult to read.

Anyone help with ID of the 2nd?
Can anyone point me to information on their care?
How about style suggestions?

Thanks

Attachments

• Witch Hazel #1 C.jpg
    Witch Hazel #1 C.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 191
  • Witch Hazel #2 B.jpg
    Witch Hazel #2 B.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 176
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
They are both American witch hazel, Hamamelis virginiana. They are quite winter hardy and unlike most Witch hazels, blossom in autumn. Enjoy your new trees.

Those trees were originally four feet tall and I cut them back about five years ago initially and about two or three times during the growing season.

Bill

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks Bill. For those interested these were purchased from Mr. Valavanis who presented at our last TBS meeting. Excellent program as usual. Thanks again Bill.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Anyone else have American Witch Hazels?

How about suggestions as to care and styling?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Is this the same as the Winter Hazel I got from you at the Kannapolis show in December Bill?

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
For me witch hazel is a seasonal bonsai. the leaves don't reduce that much, so its "season" is after leaf-fall and while in bloom. IMO its the bomb for about three weeks a year. A dog the other fourty-nine.

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dug this plant last April thinking it was an oak tree. It took forever to push buds and start leaves. When it finally produced some leaves in late June, I realized it was not an oak. I had a thread on this forum to ID it and came to the conclusion it is a witch hazel. We do have them growing along the field edges here. So I did some searches to see if it might be suitable for development into a bonsai and found this thread. First, I need to keep it alive. All spring and early summer I thought it was dead, except if I pruned off a twig, the cambium was green. It at last, started leaves. Anyone else keeping witch hazel?

Attachments

• wh 1.jpg
    wh 1.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 36
  • wh 2.jpg
    wh 2.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 39
Top Bottom