Amur Maple #1

zanduh

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I picked up this large slanting Amur this year from Dasu. Part of the fun will be seeing what I’m dealing with when the leaves fall but already I know there are a lot of crossing branches and some twisted roots that need work.

C2FB3D6B-2014-4013-B2CE-49965154C293.jpeg

I’ll have a better idea of my vision in the winter but the canopy is definitely too wide. If I cut back some of the lower branches I can pull away from the helmet look it currently has.

CF4ADDF7-BB36-4559-990B-AEC5869489F6.jpeg

Closer look at the trunk. You can see the twisted roots in the back and a lot of the unfavorable branching going on.

Excited to progress on this and happy to hear any ideas you all might have!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Its nice. The nebari is ok, has some thing to work with and is interesting, the whole tree is interesting.

My advice would be to not worry about how much work put on it.
I think this tree could be really good one day but don't be afraid of making the big changes, to begin with. Better now, than in 2 years.
The twisted roots of the nebari, at the back, figure out to sort it out and do it sooner rather than later.. I think a hard prune back of the branches and getting set with a new structure. I think id be looking to totally remake the tree.. but it will be better for it in the future.

Obviously ensure the tree is healthy. Tree health comes before development.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Broom style, on a maple, I like it.

I would not try to make this a conventional single trunk tree. Keep the informal broom. Some of your branches have the nice smooth arch, up and out, which is hallmark of a good broom. Amur tend to be rather angular in their branch pattern, so getting the smooth arching line, those branches are the "keepers". The angular criss-cross branches are the ones that need to go.

All in all, a nice tree. Lots of potential.

Top Bottom