Amur Maple Trunk Chop

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Although raw, this is still one of my favorite trees in my garden. Seems to always be one of the first to leaf out in the spring, and one of the first to show the first hints of fall color.

Most of the leaves are still green, but the oldest leaves offer a little sneak peak of what is to come :)

669B5B6C-B518-4C0D-835F-83CC289621CE.jpeg

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The timing was perfect this weekend to work on this maple. It grew vigorously all year, sending many new shoots from the base. I removed wire, pruned, and rewired when the first flush hardened off in early summer. I removed that wire late summer.

Here’s the tree before fall work:
3B39D8BB-28C1-44D5-BCC1-0B875F693926.jpeg

I didn’t prune much at all, since I am still trying to build size and thickness in the base and the trunks. I wired for direction and movement.

9F5177BE-9CB6-4B26-B7F7-94152E2240C9.jpeg

I will plan to really let it hulk out next year and keep an eye on the wire in spring. This is one of my cold-hardiest trees and I don’t really provide any winter protection unless we get some kind of really freakishly cold storm come through. I do place in the shade when leafless.

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
I wonder if I can do this drastic chop to my ugly shaped rough bark trident ?? Does the trunk need to be at least an inch thick with alot of roots or can it be still be 1/3" thick at the base and still sprout out new shoots from the base if chopped ?? Oh one other thing that Joshua Roth pruning saw ,where can i buy one?

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Like the movement you’re putting into this. Is it a direction you’re taking for more of a multi trunk / clump style?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why are all the branches sooooooooooooooooo long?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I wonder if I can do this drastic chop to my ugly shaped rough bark trident ?? Does the trunk need to be at least an inch thick with alot of roots or can it be still be 1/3" thick at the base and still sprout out new shoots from the base if chopped ?? Oh one other thing that Joshua Roth pruning saw ,where can i buy one?

I have no experience with tridents, but I think a little larger trunk would get a more vigorous response.

I believe the saw came from Sumo Bonsai Supply. Great saw!

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Because it is in raw development. Still thickening the trunks and primary branches. This is a long term project.
Right and you have more leverage to put those initial bends in, once ramification is more prevalent, you can mix clip and grow while still putting in direction w some wire on newer more malleable growth.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Because it is in raw development. Still thickening the trunks and primary branches. This is a long term project.
OK, but why wire sacrifice branching to the ends?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
OK, but why wire sacrifice branching to the ends?

Obsessive compulsive :)

I agree with your point that most of it will eventually be pruned off. And yeah, some general idea of what a silhouette might look like. I don’t mind the extra wiring.

Don’t fret, it will be pruned hard next year!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It was a nice Saturday morning, and perfect timing with leaf drop to do some fall work on this tree.

Earlier this summer I removed all the wire and pruned it pretty hard. That was around June. Then I left it grow out for the rest of the year.

135AEE7D-7867-4EC8-9A68-55278E4C32CA.jpeg

76F19DDD-9A2A-453C-A907-6877BD7D70B8.jpeg

The leaves came off effortlessly. Here’s what it looked like before the fall work. Quite a bit more ramification.

9EBC1C9C-A144-4DB7-AB60-6B1A9854CD2A.jpeg

Next I reduced 3s and 4s down to 2s. Then I pruned each shoot back to 2 or 3 internodes. Next spring the furthest node should push strong growth with long internodes. When I post-flush prune, then I will prune back to the closest node and hopefully get more manageable growth. Even though it’s still in raw development it’s still no good to have huge internodes because I can’t build on those. Last, I applied 2 wires to reposition a couple critical branches,

0409650F-39EE-4825-A290-AEDABFBEDD01.jpeg

Base is thickening up a bit too.

D2264EA1-736F-4B46-9750-999BB08C7D70.jpeg

Now I’ve tucked it away in the shade where it will remain until spring.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When I post-flush prune, then I will prune back to the closest node and hopefully get more manageable growth.
cool strategy, may borrow that for some other maple species. Tree is coming along very nicely

Berra

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I love it! How do you fertilize it during a season? I want growth like that too :)

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I love it! How do you fertilize it during a season? I want growth like that too :)
Thanks! For this tree I used Biogold starting when the buds opened until leaf drop, reapplying about every month or so. Then I also applied liquid fish and seaweed fertilizer once or twice a month….depending when I remember to do it :)

Top Bottom