An unusual Trident

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Impressive callous production for sure, I wonder if the moist environment was a big factor as well.
I appreciate the dialogue. I do think that keeping tbe callous tissue moist is helpful but I don’t think it could account for the difference in rates of healing between different wounds on the same tree.

Milly

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I appreciate the dialogue. I do think that keeping tbe callous tissue moist is helpful but I don’t think it could account for the difference in rates of healing between different wounds on the same tree.
Perhaps because the wound is at the base of the tree, the sapflow generated by everything above it is helping with the speedy healing?
Also, I like that you removed that top.

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Perhaps because the wound is at the base of the tree, the sapflow generated by everything above it is helping with the speedy healing?
Also, I like that you removed that top.
I think it’s likely that a wound at the base of the trunk will heal faster.

scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice experiment, why not bridge graft the top wound to see it it speeds the callousing?
I’m considering it - I wish I’d done it years ago. At this point it’s no longer critical - one or two more seasons and it will be closed even without grafting. In terms of grafts, I’ll probably focus on establishing the final branch structure and re-building the nebari.

- Scott

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Trident is showing off a bit - only fall colors I've ever seen on it are brown and crispy.

View attachment 459699
My Elms are just starting to change………makes the season really more enjoyable I think.

Since everyone is showing…….hopefully don’t start a new trend for your thread✌️4A9EDEBB-74E4-4B29-87A5-2E353FF4F0B4.jpeg

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
My Elms are just starting to change………makes the season really more enjoyable I think.

Since everyone is showing…….hopefully don’t start a new trend for your thread✌️View attachment 460271
Don’t mind at all. In Houston, Chinese elm were pretty much evergreen. They never changed color or dropped leaves (until I defoliated them in January).

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
After spring work.
96A6F03A-6CE4-4B4D-89E4-6B79E3F3B997.jpeg

Both of the wounds are very close to have healed over. I removed the top growth on the bridge, but left the roots. Here’s the upper wound. Not much left.
E57047DE-04EE-497E-8333-E29197FB1637.jpeg

Top Bottom