another Chamaecyparis Obtusa "Nana" Gracilis

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is my understanding for this reason and one other; they like a lot more water than most conifers and disrupt watering regimens, Hinokis are not much used by the Japanese.

LOL Vance I'm a rebel.

Proper soil component ratios for ones climate and watering regime seems to preclude the latter. I do not treat them any different. Mind you the soil composition is altered accordingly.

I won't kick 'em off my bonsai bench because they are not photogenic, they sure look good in person. As I mentioned in my article, they are the quickest bar none to form a credible bonsai silhouette. I do bonsai for the peace and tranquillity it brings. Advancing in years does not afford me the time to grow things out. However, I do have many projects in the ground or grow boxes. I want to enjoy my bonsai I ain't a farmer LOL. I know you understand this. I can take a trip and never leave my display area. A good glass of cognac, a stogie and Japanese music and I am off into my own little world :)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With regards to your answer to me, in the few tries that I did with the species I would get some budding from old wood with more radical pruning getting buds "closer in" but they would begin to elongate and then just brown off. I never really seemed to get a foothold on really devloping a good branch structure.

May just have been my climate which really never allowed the tree to really thrive here.

I too have limited myself to those that really thrive for me.
Al

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
With regards to your answer to me, in the few tries that I did with the species I would get some budding from old wood with more radical pruning getting buds "closer in" but they would begin to elongate and then just brown off. I never really seemed to get a foothold on really devloping a good branch structure.

May just have been my climate which really never allowed the tree to really thrive here.

I too have limited myself to those that really thrive for me.
Al

I know what you mean by working with stuff that works for you. I have a big problem with JWP in my micro-climate. They are way more trouble than they are worth so I don't go looking for them. As to Hinokis, I have pretty good luck with them except in back budding on old wood. Your comments on getting some back budding on old wood by radical pruning is interesting. However; I have found with some other experiments that it is possible for a tree to back bud when most of its kind will not, by threatening them with extinction. The problem I have encountered thus far is as you have described, they put out a little growth then turn belly up.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have found with some other experiments that it is possible for a tree to back bud when most of its kind will not, by threatening them with extinction. The problem I have encountered thus far is as you have described, they put out a little growth then turn belly up.

... and that pretty much sums up what others have found as well Vance.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I wonder if that is because of the heat?

I think it is more like a death response. I have read that a hanged man will ejaculate. I think that this is sort of the same desperation response.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think it is more like a death response. I have read that a hanged man will ejaculate. I think that this is sort of the same desperation response.
LOL

Aren't you a little old for having your mind in the gutter? I've herd a woody but not ejaculation and if properly hung (neck breaks) no chance for either. I think I'd rather be a Hinoki :)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
LOL

Aren't you a little old for having your mind in the gutter? I've herd a woody but not ejaculation and if properly hung (neck breaks) no chance for either. I think I'd rather be a Hinoki :)

I know you are just picking at me in a joking manner, but what I said is the truth. It is an odd, hopeless and futile attempt to pass on one's genes. This is why every year you hear of people doing themselves in with auto-erotic-asphyxiation. It is supposed to be some kind of rush. Trouble is you might die doing it.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It is my understanding for this reason and one other; they like a lot more water than most conifers and disrupt watering regimens, Hinokis are not much used by the Japanese.

Yes, Vance...My Hinoki takes in water like you wouldn't believe....it is a 14 inche tree in a relatively deep pot. Yet, it needs the watering frequency of a small shohin....Also, the issue of cold and winds must be taken into consideration. I do not believe that these trees tolerate extreme cold and winds well at all. This hinoki that I have been training for 7-8 years now has almost never seen temps in the 20's in the 7-8 years that I have had it. The proof is in the pic...

Rob

Attachments

• pictures2%20059[2].jpg
    pictures2%20059[2].jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 46

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
LOL

If you are too old to let your mind wander in the gutter from time to time then it is time to become bonsai fertalizer!:eek::D

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know you are just picking at me in a joking manner, but what I said is the truth. It is an odd, hopeless and futile attempt to pass on one's genes. This is why every year you hear of people doing themselves in with auto-erotic-asphyxiation. It is supposed to be some kind of rush. Trouble is you might die doing it.
... at least you are going with a smile on your face I guess :D

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
... at least you are going with a smile on your face I guess :D

Wouldn't that be an oximorone? Coming and Going at the same time? Hells bells, where have I been all my life? I have felt at various times that I didn't know if I was coming or going.

TeKmInIbI

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
This is another Hinoki that was added to my collection a couple of days ago. It was acquired as nursery stock and received its initial styling yesterday.

Not quite the tree I expected when I was viewing the raw stock, but I am happy with the results.

The tree will be left pretty much alone, with further refinement in a year or so. The apex will need to be reduced and opened up. Fine wiring of the branchlets will also take place the fall of '10

Very nice looking tree ;)
I looked forward to seeing it in a couple years!

Top Bottom