Another olive (yeah, I got one too)

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's my Olive...I believe it is the same seller though. Came from California...TONS of Olives for sale. Adair once called it a Bog Monster. Keeping with that theme...I gave the tree twisting branches such as a monster with tentacles.
View attachment 320659
Looks like it might be a different variety? Maybe it's just the lighting/photo but the leaves on mine look narrower and bluer. But I don't know much about the different varieties of olive.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah that is a nice tree for a "try".
Your virt is quite "foliage pad" like, which the old ancient olives don't tend to be, but I assume you are naturalistic, which you might not be, so i apologise.
Could even let a leader run and turn that abrupt end to the trunk, in to some super taper, sumo style :). Very cool little tree.,
Yes, I'm not going to try to do anything "naturalistic" with this one. I think the trunk lends itself well to a more standard "bonsai" form. I'm thinking something similar to the smaller one @Adair M had in the last US National Show, maybe he can post a photo (hint hint). If it does well here over several years I'll probably look for something bigger that has a wilder or more naturalistic structure.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks like it might be a different variety? Maybe it's just the lighting/photo but the leaves on mine look narrower and bluer. But I don't know much about the different varieties of olive.
Could be a different cultivar. Or could it be a different tree entirely? It's in afternoon sun...but the foliage clearly I see is different than what I see from Adair's and your Olive as you state. Peculiar...
Clearly my foliage is more rounder and wider...Hmmmm It is shaded above...could being it's shaded above...cause the leaves to be larger? Maybe...it needs moved to a different location...on another bench. New growth appears more like the shape of leaf you have. *Image with natural light this time.
Olive holding it outside 2020.jpg

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, I'm not going to try to do anything "naturalistic" with this one. I think the trunk lends itself well to a more standard "bonsai" form. I'm thinking something similar to the smaller one @Adair M had in the last US National Show, maybe he can post a photo (hint hint). If it does well here over several years I'll probably look for something bigger that has a wilder or more naturalistic structure.
You mean this one?

7C670F1E-6E47-4785-8BCD-2F8BCA8FB201.jpeg

it’s a sumo, for sure!

Here’s a picture with me, for scale:

E3668E7B-5DCF-4BC8-8A45-446E559545AD.jpeg

That’s a side shot. The pot is an antique Chinese. They’re often long and narrow.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could be a different cultivar. Or could it be a different tree entirely? It's in afternoon sun...but the foliage clearly I see is different than what I see from Adair's and your Olive as you state. Peculiar...
Clearly my foliage is more rounder and wider...Hmmmm It is shaded above...could being it's shaded above...cause the leaves to be larger? Maybe...it needs moved to a different location...on another bench. New growth appears more like the shape of leaf you have. *Image with natural light this time.
View attachment 320780
Tough to know. There are definitely different types of olive. Perhaps the different amount of sun is the main factor here, I've got mine in pretty much the sunniest part of the yard, full sun from probably 8 am to 3 or 4 pm. Then shaded by a tree after that.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
😈
Yeah, small tree. Told you. With you on screen it looks really large. It is almost as if the tree is on the liquor trolley in the background!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmm someone have a link for this olive seller?

This the guy in Westminster?

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you just go to ebay and type in "olive bonsai" you'll find him (just look for the stumps that kind of look like mine). But I think his username is 3m.bonsai or something like that.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you just go to ebay and type in "olive bonsai" you'll find him (just look for the stumps that kind of look like mine). But I think his username is 3m.bonsai or something like that.

yeah thats what I did and found him

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

This the guy in Westminster?

I can give you his mobile # ... he’ll sell them directly to you cheaper than on eBay because he’s not paying the 13% markup. He’s a good guy ... I’ve been to his backyard.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I can give you his mobile # ... he’ll sell them directly to you cheaper than on eBay because he’s not paying the 13% markup. He’s a good guy ... I’ve been to his backyard.

Thanks. I thought about it. I need another tree like I need a hole in the head so Im going to refrain for now.

Top Bottom