Another US National Bonsai Exhibition Entry

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Vics display is better and her main tree, despite being subdued, or maybe as a a result of it being, is more compelling for the place it takes you. The larch seems a little unrefined to me I guess---it is a beautiful larch but for its motif its branchlets seem discordantly. Good luck!

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
what about the branchlets seems discordant to you??

helmets aren't exactly my thing ....

edit: ... btw I'm disagreeing about Vic's tree being better... that much is certainly true... just curious what you see

Last edited:

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
what about the branchlets seems discordant to you??

helmets aren't exactly my thing ....

edit: ... btw I'm disagreeing about Vic's tree being better... that much is certainly true... just curious what you see
Well, what I mean is I think the set of the branchlets is a bit grassy and loose for the motif of the aged mountain trunk. Not way off or anything just a tonal discordance, to me anyways. And some wiring at the tips--not much, but a little to define a few branch lines. Larches for me can be leaned out by reduced fertilization and allowing to be pot bound or by needle plucking, wholesale or partial, which would tighten and age its feel and I think really improve the tree. It would have been super cool to have had needle plucked the whole tree last summer and had no repotting this spring. It would have come out tight and geriatric. I think you could still thin the needles and improve it though, like Alkamid said.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
lol oops I meant in my edit to say "NOT disagreeing" ....

I see what you are saying ... and its something I will definitely use to learn from ... I truly do thank you for your comments ...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
FWIW.... I think our trees are expressing entirely different things, which it's like saying a cherry is more awesome than a banana. It's all fruit, but not comparable. Each is good in it's own right. That it may appeal to one more than another is understandable... But that doesn't make it better. Imho.... V

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
lol oops I meant in my edit to say "NOT disagreeing" ....

I see what you are saying ... and its something I will definitely use to learn from ... I truly do thank you for your comments ...

I usually don't critic trees because really one is just criticing a photo and even a finished photo often falls short plus it usually ends up being a sanctimonious diatribe but then, as you know, I am keen on larch plus I follow you and Vics works because they are interesting, good and fresh. So since I started this analysis I thought I better put the tree on my desktop and let it look at me for a while and continue to consider it all the way: I said earlier to me it is a "Mountain Tree" but really I can see it is "Leaning Mountain River tree" and I realize this is part of the solution in my mind. right off the bat I see the tree is reaching for a different kind of elegance--which you probably intended. Anyways this is what I see now: besides defining the lines slightly if you compress the top, which I think it could use, I would really examine the feel of the apex and how it affects the balance. I think apex placement and shape is super important on a leaning tree subtle changes in the branches and top could throw off what you have. The pot is cool but too deep to my eye. The unique color and texture evokes the mud of a bank. A medium thin natural slab would be nice too. It may make it too rugged for your intentions though--I'd be tempted. if you had a slab you could loose the footed table and go with something rustic. I am not a display historian or am much on Japanese rule but I sure would consider a stream accent like winky little arched reeds or short grass. There I am done arrogantly ripping on a beautiful entry I wish I had and for what its worth I think the tree has more overall potential than Vics little gem.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
FWIW.... I think our trees are expressing entirely different things, which it's like saying a cherry is more awesome than a banana. It's all fruit, but not comparable. Each is good in it's own right. That it may appeal to one more than another is understandable... But that doesn't make it better. Imho.... V
Oh, Miss Vic I see that these trees are expressing entirely different things I just think yours is better because it is not in conflict, is gently self assured and is at peace. It needs to be at peace and it is. It expresses itself unfettered partly because it is less complex and partly from your feminine hand. The "Leaning Mountain River Tree" has more moving parts--I don't fully feel it all, but then most of this is over intellectualistic country boy hooey, at least on my part.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I usually don't critic trees because really one is just criticing a photo and even a finished photo often falls short plus it usually ends up being a sanctimonious diatribe but then, as you know, I am keen on larch plus I follow you and Vics works because they are interesting, good and fresh. So since I started this analysis I thought I better put the tree on my desktop and let it look at me for a while and continue to consider it all the way: I said earlier to me it is a "Mountain Tree" but really I can see it is "Leaning Mountain River tree" and I realize this is part of the solution in my mind. right off the bat I see the tree is reaching for a different kind of elegance--which you probably intended. Anyways this is what I see now: besides defining the lines slightly if you compress the top, which I think it could use, I would really examine the feel of the apex and how it affects the balance. I think apex placement and shape is super important on a leaning tree subtle changes in the branches and top could throw off what you have. The pot is cool but too deep to my eye. The unique color and texture evokes the mud of a bank. A medium thin natural slab would be nice too. It may make it too rugged for your intentions though--I'd be tempted. if you had a slab you could loose the footed table and go with something rustic. I am not a display historian or am much on Japanese rule but I sure would consider a stream accent like winky little arched reeds or short grass. There I am done arrogantly ripping on a beautiful entry I wish I had and for what its worth I think the tree has more overall potential than Vics little gem.

a welcome and fresh interpretation of the tree.... honestly I never saw it leaning over a river... but of course now that you say that I can imagine it... and it opens lots of new possibilities in my mind... your appreciation and interest in larch specifically is of great value to me ... so please know that I appreciate your input completely

It never ceases to amaze me how detailed an image people can draw on and create from the simplest catalyst (in this case this tree) ... the human imagination is a wonderful thing!

re: apex ... I hear you... I was not as pleased with the apex this year as I had been in the past .. it still looks good but like you said maybe it could be better....

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A spider dangled out to greet me today as I checked out your nice larch.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A spider dangled out to greet me today as I checked out your nice larch.

ohhh fantastic!!! they love to live in there .... how did it look (the tree?? ) .... hoping that many are enjoying it.... wish i could be there ....

thank you !!!

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ang, your tree(and vic's) looked great! I could only stay the one day, and it isn't anywhere near enough time. I made sure to visit my fellow nuts trees a couple times. You should be very proud to exhibit at such a high level.

Dave

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Eric, I'll take it a step further, I was impressed by you and Vic's trees, moreso than at least 60%, if for no other reason than they looked robust and healthy many didn't. It could have been the lighting I wasn't hugely impressed with the lighting there, but the 2 trees youguys sent were in good spots for the exhibit, I almost snapped a shot, but figured it just wasn't the right thing to do.

Definitly they look better in person, I saw Vic's first and it jumped out at me, then yours which was close, after 12 hours in the car yesterday it may have been next to hers but I think one spot away. Yay, way to go.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
WOW!!! thanks Bill .... WE are both very humbled by your praise ... I am very happy to know you enjoyed them so much ....

knowing they showed so well is exciting .... There were certainly many hands involved in the process from transport to setup and maintenance and I thank them all.

joyfully thanks!!

sean f

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
the tree looked great,it was nice seeing your work in person. iwas talking to a dave from syracuse,sitting outside in the gazebo,was that you hot?

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the tree looked great,it was nice seeing your work in person. iwas talking to a dave from syracuse,sitting outside in the gazebo,was that you hot?

Yep, in the flesh. Nice to have met you.

Dave

Top Bottom