Any idea where to find a copy of Man Lung Pening?

Reaction score
I emailed Fuku Bonsai because I thought they might have a copy, but it looks like they lost most of their inventory to flooding in 2018. I know it's a long shot, but I would love to get my hands on a copy if it's not insanely expensive.

Reaction score
I had sent an email previously to the non-Hong Kong address but the account must have been deactivated or deleted as it got bounced. I'll shoot the HK one a message but I doubt they would have any copies left as it's been like two decades since the printing.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You all tried Amazon.com-- used copies from $20.00

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got mine several years ago after doing multiple web searches about 3 years ago. Abe books… yet I see there are multiple copies on Amazon. I is a really good book representing Penjing about 30+ years ago. My favorite part is the author’s lecture at the back.
cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
You all tried Amazon.com-- used copies from $20.00

That's not the same book.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oh boy…. Exactly which book are you looking for… as I’m pretty darn sure Mr. Wu Yee-Sun, founder of the swing Lung Bank Ltd was the author and only commissioned two printings. I’ve the second, enlarged edition, published in 1974 in my lap at this time.

image.jpg

btw Artistic Potted Plants is the English translation of Penjing.

Wondering?
DSD sends

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh boy…. Exactly which book are you looking for… as I’m pretty darn sure Mr. Wu Yee-Sun, founder of the swing Lung Bank Ltd was the author and only commissioned two printings. I’ve the second, enlarged edition, published in 1974 in my lap at this time.

View attachment 432770

btw Artistic Potted Plants is the English translation of Penjing.

Wondering?
DSD sends
Wu-Yee Sun had another book printed with color photos in 2002 or so. I vaguely remember that book coming out, as the Internet was just getting going. I think I searched for it and tried to get one from the Sower's thingie, along with a thousand other nutty bonsai folks. I don't know any who were actually successful.

I don't have it, but from the looks of it on this Worthpoint link, is has many of the same trees as in the older ones--only in color.

'
FWIW, the Fuku bonsai site talks about having copies of the first two editions, 1969 and 1976. The 1976 edition was expanded with more photos and text. 10,000 copies of the 1976 issue were printed, so it's not rare, but it's also not common.

I have a 1974 edition. You can probably find the "latest" one printed in early 2000's with color photos (3000 books is mighty limited) but it's not going to be reasonably priced. And by reasonably, I mean its going to be a lot more than the older books with similar B&W photos. Searching for it could be fun, but like chasing a white rabbit. Not likely to catch up with it. You don't really need to unless you're into paying a premium for color photos and a slicker cover. $24 for a used copy is more than a bargain IMO.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@rockm You are spot on! See this link. I’m volunteering at the Museum today and will talk to the Curator about whether his trees are still at the National, where our Curator was Asst Curator for a number of years.

cheers
DSD sends

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@rockm You are spot on! See this link. I’m volunteering at the Museum today and will talk to the Curator about whether his trees are still at the National, where our Curator was Asst Curator for a number of years.

cheers
DSD sends
Yes, his trees are still at the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum...The Chinese Pavillion, where they and other Chinese-orgin penjing are housed, is named for him. I had a couple of work group meetings with Aaron P. when he was at arb

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BTW, I have the 1976 edition, NOT 1974...

Top Bottom