Any styling advice?Or advice on this period?

sokonmatsumura

Seedling
Reaction score
DSCN2495.jpg

I'm sure you could tell but it is a japanese juniper. I tried to work with what I have and do a cascade style. I tried to picture an old juniper hanging off a cliff.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is some interesting movement in the tree, but it lacks a specific direction. If it were mine, I'd change the planting angle and make it into a more tradiation cascade or semi cascade. I'm embarrassed by the virt, but you get the idea.

.juni1.jpg

sokonmatsumura

Seedling
Reaction score
How would I change the planting angle exactly? Do you think all the branches are good and maybe just need some wiring and moving around to one side. This picture doesn't show but it has one branch that goes upward, in the true cascade or semi cascade style do they all need to point down?

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
cascade style trees will often have a branch that rises up above the cascade, but the lower branch is usually dominant. If you google "Cascade bonsai" and select images you can see that there is a variety of trees that fall in this category. I have linked to an illustration of a cascade with a strong apex.

If you want to create a more classic style cascade the trunk will need to have a lower angle, therefore changing the planting angle. You can do this the next time you need to repot the tree. You will just change the angle that the tree is placed in the pot.

http://www.bonsaiempire.com/train/bonsai-styles

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, if you can encourage secondary branching along your main branches... most of your growth is at the end of the branch, which is less natural.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Can you post some other views? I can only see an over head view. Can you take some pics at eye level. Also, at different rotations at eye level.

Rob

Top Bottom