Any tips on European Cypress appreciated

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A box containing a quintet of 12 inch European Cypress arrived today. My Wife wanted something different then tropical and always liked the way little forests look. I have had the best of luck with Brussels' over the years but this is the first time I bought something because it fit the ticket without knowing "squat" about it :p
I know I could look at 100 sites and make an average opinion of what they all say but would appreciate anyone piping in with "real life" advise... The Variety is Chamaecyparis lawsoniana.

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The Variety is Chamaecyparis lawsoniana.

This is actually the species, and is often referred to as Lawson's false cypress. There are many different cultivars of C. lawsoniana- a great landscape tree for sure that come in all different shapes and size . As far as this tree and bonsai culture go, I don't have any hands on experience, though I believe one member, Grouper 52, who's out in Oregon, has some pretty good older specimens...certainly worth a search here. They probably need to be treated like Hinoki cypress if I were to guess. Good luck.

Dave

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
TY! I do understand this is not a common plant to use in Bonsai but the Wife will be happy with the challenges. She is what I suspect as "burned out" on Tropicals and except for repots and extensive hacks has me pretty much take care of 16 years of a plant collection.

I am ordering her some Chinese Elm, and a few other trees over the next few weeks to Inspire her to get "dirty" again :p I figure if she gets 6 specimens over a 2 month period she will have fun and be inspired to accept the challenge :p

Top Bottom