Anybody tried one of these for creating an air layer?

Relic37

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've done a dozen air layers last year on maples and had fairly good luck. This year I was wondering about trying one of these PVC pipe cutters for the initial girdling cuts. It seems the branch would fit nicely in the curve, the blade would cut uniformly around the branch with just moderate pressure, and since I have the tool already I figured it would be worth a try. Anybody else ever tried one of these?

Attachments

• 1679612590848.png
    1679612590848.png
    165.5 KB · Views: 13

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No, but looks good. To be honest, ringing the bark is the least difficult part of air layering for me. Keeping the the container with sphagnum moss (or whatever medium you use) on the tree and moist is the most difficult part.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am familiar with the tool, having cut more than my fair share of PVC in my day :)

I wouldn't recommend them - for two reasons:
(1) You want the cut at the girdle to be razor sharp. You don't want to crush plant tissue as you make the cut. Those PVC cutters have relatively dull blades.
(2) Those cutters only work on a straight section of trunk - for a perfectly horizontal cut. Usually if you have a straight section of trunk, you are better cutting your airlayer girdle at an angle, so that you introduce movement into the base of the trunk. Not always - but many/most times - unless you are creating formal uprights all day long.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The problem is that the tree is not a perfect circle, which will cut the bark unevenly. You can use a small saw, I saw that method done in a few videos from Japan, if using a knife scares you? 🤣

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
No, but looks good. To be honest, ringing the bark is the least difficult part of air layering for me. Keeping the the container with sphagnum moss (or whatever medium you use) on the tree and moist is the most difficult part.
I see a lot of tropical nursery using aluminum foil to hold the moss in place. Try it next time.

Top Bottom