Anyone had problems with these little killers?

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Was kinda jazzed when it said they prefer tree of heaven. Please, help yourselves!

But yeah, it won't stop there and last thing we need I'm sure everyone here will agree is fewer trees.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My brother in-laws was saying just yesterday that they killed many trees in his area of PA.

The have been spotted in this area of PA at the farm and here at the house. They look far different at younger stages but Grandmother had some crew come in at the farm several weeks ago and whatever they sprayed smelled much like the Malathion I used here. I have since only found them dead on a few trees. Very few but enough to be concerned.
Where in PA is he? I am in Bucks County and they just started to show up this year. Other areas I read are really a mess :(

Grimmy

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The have been spotted in this area of PA at the farm and here at the house. They look far different at younger stages but Grandmother had some crew come in at the farm several weeks ago and whatever they sprayed smelled much like the Malathion I used here. I have since only found them dead on a few trees. Very few but enough to be concerned.
Where in PA is he? I am in Bucks County and they just started to show up this year. Other areas I read are really a mess :(

Grimmy
They're in Potstown, I think it's near King of Prussia.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You ever go to The Buck!?
Mud Bogs, Tough Truck Challenge, Demo Derby, Diesel Sled Pulling and Dirt Drags....good Ol Fun!
Merica style!

I usually go to good old fashioned Metal Concerts, Shooting at the farm, Fishing, or on Travels intertwined with Bonsai! :p But you must understand, we moved to our first place in 2009, sold and bought this one in 2013 after we moved from New York State. We have a LOT to do and see here and find more and more as we settle in.

Grimmy

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Grimmy

Okay, Sounds like the future of the bonsai hobby for me (here in Berks Co. PA) and others will hinge around regular aggressive pesticide applications from frost to frost.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They're in Potstown, I think it's near King of Prussia.

That is North of me, an hour or so. On the Schuylkill River in Montgomery County. They have Emerald Borers up there too - overgrown old mess in some parts :( King of Prussia is nearby there in the same county and very different, more metro indeed.

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Okay, Sounds like the future of the bonsai hobby for me (here in Berks Co. PA) and others will hinge around regular aggressive pesticide applications from frost to frost.

It is Mandatory in most of the Commonwealth. Funny thing is we have a LOT of predatory and pollinators that don't seem to be affected. Hell, they spray Malathion over parks and Preserves here too!

Grimmy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I can count the number of live ash trees on my property now on my fingers... They were a fair portion of my woodland here, all gone now due to Emerald Ash borer. The last ones will probably go next year. :( I hope these are not as destructive as those are.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That is North of me, an hour or so. On the Schuylkill River in Montgomery County. They have Emerald Borers up there too - overgrown old mess in some parts :( King of Prussia is nearby there in the same county and very different, more metro indeed.

Grimmy
Yeah, I know that river....never been there though.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I can count the number of live ash trees on my property now on my fingers... They were a fair portion of my woodland here, all gone now due to Emerald Ash borer. The last ones will probably go next year. :( I hope these are not as destructive as those are.

Nockamixon State Park is a Pennsylvania state park on 5,283 acres in Bedminster and Haycock Townships in northern Bucks County, a few mile up Route 313 from me. They recently contracted to have 6000 Ash trees removed and destroyed because of the Emerald Borer :(
My potting bench top which the carpenter did not get to this year is Ash Wood planks from one that died some 50 years ago. The tree owner downed it and cut it into one inch planks and left them stacked proper in his barn. Every board he gave me for the project has the borer trails in it - but damn it is strong wood.

Grimmy

Top Bottom