Anyone have problems with Bougain?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I decided to give my bougies a boost before spring, so I fertilized them with Bougain at the end of March. I followed the directions. I watered beforehand, scattered it lightly, then watered it in. Within days, they all started to lose leaves, to the point I thought I was going to lose even my bigger plants. I'm normally very careful with their watering, so maybe they got too wet, watering before and after applying it? They are coming back OK now, although I may lose the one for the mame contest, it was my smallest. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. I'm almost afraid to ever use it again.

I had a similar experience. Thought I might have over applied.

I had a similar experience. Thought I might have over applied.
Maybe that was the problem, I thought I spread it fairly thinly, but maybe too much. Thanks.

In Orlando, this is what I do to my collection of around 20 or 30 (or so lol) bougies:

Method: Cut the tree back. Apply Bougain. Go. Bracts form. When bracts die, or you're done, chop it back again wire out what you want to.

Bougain does not burn a bougainvillea, it's almost impossible to. If you are using some 20-20-20 or even another odd feed, it doesnt provide the bougainvillea the nutrients that encourage more flowering. Instead, those fertilizers encourage more growth. You'll end up just with thick branches in weird places. Bougain. Swear by it.

Of course, the standard disclaimers, I'm in Florida where they naturally grow, you are in Illinois. We use coarse soil here, well draining, and keep our bougies trunks dry but the roots moist, never wet feet never bone dry. This method repeatedly encourages four or five wonderful blooms each year, as well as develops the tree.

Additionally, Bougainvilleas require intense sunlight. I dont think Irish people tan in Illinois. Here, they are all white because have have a half inch of sun screen coating them like toothpaste. Bougies require full sun to fully bloom. If you Want to test, turn tree sideways so only half gets full sun, half gets part sun. You see color one side, green other. Sun sun sun sun sun.

There are many varieties of bougies too, so sometimes my advice may change for varieties such as the Pink Pixie, or a Royal Grape, for example, each work the same but slightly different.

The "WIN THE EPCOT ONE DAY BONSAI SHOW" award trick is simple. Chop back, Bougain 6 weeks before show. Tree wins people choice. Golden Mickey Mouse Statue. All bracts/flowers.

Back
Top Bottom