anyone use these modern LED lighting in offseason??

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Just to clarify, I meant the large rectangular panels such as cmeg1 linked to. Not the thin gooseneck ones from the OP. Those seem more suitable for some supplemental light for something that is already near a window.
perfect, yeah thats all im looking for to turn on for 4 hours after work until bed, or to angle low over a seed tray later winter or something.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If I bought one, I would keep it on about 8 hours a day. Why not? Unless of course you want to conserve energy or people may be annoyed because of the light.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
If I bought one, I would keep it on about 8 hours a day. Why not? Unless of course you want to conserve energy or people may be annoyed because of the light.
hmm...possibly yeah, or while i sleep sometimes, weekends.

i dont love the idea of running lights when not home from home even as safe as they say they are (i work in fire alarm industry for honeywell, in office right now)

i dont think these run up electric costs much, being LED based, or hot, but still, i dont like the idea of it.
the front windows in winter sun (no big maple leaf shade from out front, etc.) combined with 4-5 hours after work,
might keep my lot healthy for winter holdover or relative vigor

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looking very quickly through these LED panels, most of them have a vegetative and a bloom mode, because they are made for cannabis plants. That seems like a waste if you are growing 'normal' plants. It seems to turn off some of the LEDs with a certain spectrum, and turn on others that they believe are better for development of the flowers (and the THC content I guess). So you are paying for LEDs that you aren't using.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Looking very quickly through these LED panels, most of them have a vegetative and a bloom mode, because they are made for cannabis plants. That seems like a waste if you are growing 'normal' plants. It seems to turn off some of the LEDs with a certain spectrum, and turn on others that they believe are better for development of the flowers (and the THC content I guess). So you are paying for LEDs that you aren't using.
wouldnt a particular mode work for regular plants and trees? any LED options you noticed that are more suited for traditional plants and trees?
maybe the vegetative mode would suffice for supplemental purposes?

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sure it will work. It just means that some individual LEDs are being turned on or off. I doubt the one you linked on Amazon has such a mode. Was just going off the general LED light tangent.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lights make the "off" season, the "on" season.

Sorce

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I do miss having a large south window.
I think for supplemental lighting you’ll be fine with that.
When I did have a south window I used leds too. I use them still for my low light topical house plants.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dunno how good these are, but I've 2 sets of 3 of these led lights daisy chained on shelving in the garage. They kept some late shipped azaleas in fine form last winter. This year I'm adding some heat mats to the shelves so I can test grow some 2.5" potted azalea whips in mini dome "green houses" (compared to some in a cold frame).
I like them and they do have a dual spectrum element. I've been using them on full spectrum.
They are reliable and quiet.
Cheers
DSD sends

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have several saltwater refugium lights sitting around that I will be testing out this winter. They are not cheap though at $350 each. They did grow macro algae in saltwater like crazy so I hope they work well for my trees.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Dunno how good these are, but I've 2 sets of 3 of these led lights daisy chained on shelving in the garage. They kept some late shipped azaleas in fine form last winter. This year I'm adding some heat mats to the shelves so I can test grow some 2.5" potted azalea whips in mini dome "green houses" (compared to some in a cold frame).
I like them and they do have a dual spectrum element. I've been using them on full spectrum.
They are reliable and quiet.
Cheers
DSD sends
neat, i scoped the link and those seem nice.

i like the idea of the bendy ones in my link, for my application, and i double checked a second ago and there
are selectable color outputs on them (prob industry standard for a lot of these value lights now), and i noticed some others w similar design with more traditional light vs the red/pink/purple...options

thanks for all the replies, i guess ill be buying a few sets of these in the next 2 mos or so

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My favorite are the 4000k blue lights.Blue veg spectrum keeps plants stocky and also promotes extra photosynthesis......similiar to t5 flourescents.
This is good to have a little bit of red spectrum as most blue lights do.The red will enhance root growth.........but,yes I have no need for flowering led’s either.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
My favorite are the 4000k blue lights.Blue veg spectrum keeps plants stocky and also promotes extra photosynthesis......similiar to t5 flourescents.
This is good to have a little bit of red spectrum as most blue lights do.The red will enhance root growth.........but,yes I have no need for flowering led’s either.

scope this: from my link, they have the blue option, etc. for $29 this might be a no brainer. look how happy the ficus is in pic ;)

81ci8bi2OBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg71O24X0xY7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg71uJ2YESq0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg71ZwwNYIofL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am looking a bit more into what wavelength you want. And I don't really feel like going into the actual science, because there must be a lot.
But I did find this:

Apparently, the cheap LEDS fall exactly on the absorption spectrum of chlorophyll A and chlorophyll B as analyzed in a extracted sample. So These LED lamps are stacked with these (cheaper?) red and blue LEDS. So they don't contain any yellow or green. And then some are 'full spectrum' and they add UV and IR. With them admitting UV is not used for photosynthesis but affects hormone level (and they then link that to resin production). And IR either warms up the leaves or has some effect.

I see now some panels filled with white LEDS, that are full spectrum but have a Kelvin colour, as mentioned by cmeg1. But then they add red LEDs for 'bloom phase'. But now mabye I think one should ideally have white light LEDS with some blues (and reds ) mixed in to specifically hit the spectrum of the two photo-systems. And if I half-believe the veg state vs bloom state myth, I would want a bit more blue than red. among those generally white LEDs.

This video seems pretty decent in giving some info to help untangle all the marketing terms:

So if a manufacturer wants to maximize their PAR (Photosynthetically active radiation) value for cost or wattage, they will stack it filled with blue and red LEDs, and you will get a narrow spectrum but an inflated PAR value.

I did work in a lab where my colleagues measured spectra of plants. And they always used pieces of leaves. Not solutions of cells. Or lysed cell extracts. So the 'debunk' that the spectrum some manufacturers showed is for extracts or solutions of cells, and not actual leaves, and that the absorption spectrum of a real leaf absorbs way more yellow and green, seems legit.

Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I normally time my indoor lights for 18/6.

Most yield PLANTS can grow/yield successfully indoors with the right setup.. we’ve done tomatoes (4 different kinds, I think) beans, a variety of herbs.. and PEPPERS (my favorite.. ALL kinds) indoors year-round. It is not only possible.. but preferable to some as it grants MORE control...

Now I just bring the right “mother peppers/chilis” in for winter... no fussing with seeds once I’ve already got a plant with a “desirable personality.

;)

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Oh and one more video from an actual researcher with the science highlights.

NASA funded this guy to help find out what lights they need to grow plants with aritifical lights in space:

I envision a time that rather than use pruning as the main tool, one uses different light spectra to shape a bonsai.

Last edited:

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Oh and one more video from an actual researcher with the science highlights.

NASA funded this guy to help find out what lights they need to grow plants with aritifical lights in space:

I envision a time that rather than use pruning as the main tool, one uses different light spectra to shape a bonsai.
thanks for the research and info.
do you think the above posted pics and linked LED im eyeing down is somewhat effective, not useless, and worth $29 to my door? would the combo purple or blue make the most sense for my 4-6 hours in evening with it on be the setting to run? as i said, im only looking for a decent, supplemental, addition for my plants health to carry thru winter.

thanks, you seem smaht (im from near bostahn)

also, i have succulents in addition to plants i mentioned, and the multi thousand reviews with 5 stars i find very compelling, generally. high value ratio with reviews.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
do you think the above posted pics and linked LED im eyeing down is somewhat effective, not useless, and worth $29 to my door? would the combo purple or blue make the most sense for my 4-6 hours in evening with it on be the setting to run? as i said, im only looking for a decent, supplemental, addition for my plants health to carry thru winter.

also, i have succulents in addition to plants i mentioned, and the multi thousand reviews with 5 stars i find very compelling, generally. high value ratio with reviews.

Wicked Smaht.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

It's hard for me to say what your best option is. These things are not waste of money or novelty toys. If they have proper LEDs, and they should, they will produce ample light. And plants grow really well on artificial light. Even just the red & blue LEDs. And your plants are near a window as well. So it is more a question of what is the best for you. Are you buying too much light or too little? Or should the spectrum be different?

But this product lacks the key specs to properly evaluate a LED light. It says it is 80 w, but it does not mention the draw power. Or the PAR value, or the micromole per joule. So they know what LEDs they put in. Say it is 8 LEDs of 10 watt (it isn't, but as an example). They will not run these at 10 watt, because reasons. So maybe they run at 6 watt. And your actual power draw is 48 watt. They might even be calling it 80 watt because it is equivalent to 80 watts of incandescent bulb light in lumen. So then that 80 watt number is already a bit misleading. And then what matters is how much photosynthetically usable light it produces over how large an area. If you know what you are doing with LEDs, and I don't. You know how much light you need on a certain area for a plant to grow properly. To the LED manufacturer will produce a surface chart and that will tell you, say I put my lamp at 1 meter height, then it will give this much photosynthetic flux to the plant when placed at that spot below the lamp (directly beneath it, or away from the center). One like this:

The lamp you listed has none of this info. So we don't know how much light your lamp produces. And for you to determine if you want to buy this lamp you ideally want to know how much photosynthetically relevant light you are adding on top of your window. So you know you pay 29 dollars to double the amount of light you already had. Or 29 dollars to add 10% more. Or something in between. I can't tell you. You also don't know from their specs how large an area you can cover and supply sufficient light for. If they did, then you know exactly what you are paying for. I mean technically, that LED lamp could produce 100% heat and no light, and it will still meet the 80 watt specification listed.

There are also many similar products on amazon, with also many reviews 4 or 5 stars. So one question you would have is if it is worth it to pay 5 more dollars and get one with white LEDs instead. I don't really know how to help you answer that question.

Last edited:
Top Bottom