Anyone with Boston Ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata) experience...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
cool. i have a porcelain berry thats going to look very similar to this next year. the trunk actually looks gnarled and woven. it had a colony of medium size ants in it for awhile and they almost carved or made tunnels all around and throughout the trunk. the ants are gone and it is vigorous regardless, just unkept and ready for a style next year. its going to be a frankenstein bonsai for sure
Sounds like great character! Glad you were able to rid it of the pests.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
... That pot...
That's a nice one. So far I've acquired three pots by Masako Kunii.

Not so easy, but not too difficult. Here you are.
This is his homepage. It's hardly up to date...
This one on Yahoo.jap is a good place to check new pots, but I couldn't order anything using it. Just to check new products and see an item No.
And Buyee is a place I search an item by the number and I can order from. They charge some small changes for buying an item for you and domesting shipping... like 300+500 yen. Very satisfied with their services. Keep you all safe these days.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's a nice one. So far I've acquired three pots by Masako Kunii.

Not so easy, but not too difficult. Here you are.
This is his homepage. It's hardly up to date...
This one on Yahoo.jap is a good place to check new pots, but I couldn't order anything using it. Just to check new products and see an item No.
And Buyee is a place I search an item by the number and I can order from. They charge some small changes for buying an item for you and domesting shipping... like 300+500 yen. Very satisfied with their services. Keep you all safe these days.
Love enablers...thanks for the links!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
a porcelain berry

@hinmo24t, do you have a thread on your porcelain berry? I found one of these in my backyard today and, naturally, was thinking of trying to do something with it, as it's not in a spot I like at all. The berries are absolutely gorgeous, though and I could see it being a stunning specimen in some form.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
@hinmo24t, do you have a thread on your porcelain berry? I found one of these in my backyard today and, naturally, was thinking of trying to do something with it, as it's not in a spot I like at all. The berries are absolutely gorgeous, though and I could see it being a stunning specimen in some form.
Not really because mine is just pre bonsai for now and fugly. There are a few on bonsainut or internet. Careful w them very invasive

Mafu88

Seedling
Reaction score
When should I prune my Boston ivy to encourage smaller foliage? And do these plants back bud?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When should I prune my Boston ivy to encourage smaller foliage? And do these plants back bud?
Let me see a photo of your tree. Prune to encourage smaller foliage? Seems you mean defoliate. Because I allow the vines to run to thicken. Of all my vining plants, this one has the thinnest of vines. I cut back when I move my trees to winter storage.

Post #5, Owen does talk about defoliation. You don't do the entire tree. a good read to what he shared.

Yes, they back bud on the trunk. Not so readily on vines but patience and time...they will ramifiy.

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/2...l-bonsai-expo-nashville-tn.15640/#post-460257

Mafu88

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks. I will post a pic tomorrow in the light.

I have to get better on my bonsai vernacular 😁 I did mean defoliate to encourage ramification haha thanks again for the info

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't have time to upload to YouTube today. So quick share of my wall. Defoliated (Scott Lee advised) and just a good video of that amazing pot from Japan. Those who don't do Facebook. I will try and load it to YouTube later. My phone is charging currently.

Top Bottom