Anyones trees waking up?

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I just moved to Nebraska this past summer. Who would have thought we would have 50-60 F weather in Dec. and Jan. for three weeks straight!! I'm a little concerned that one of my japanese maples is waking up. Not sure what to do with it. It needs to sleep for another 2 months or so. Anybody else having this problem?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Warm days into the sixties do not pose a problem as long as your nights fall to the 40's and 30's. When the nights get to be 55 or above then they will start to move.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My trees have been fine so far but the Chicago land winter this year has been very strange. The normal day time temps lately have been in the mid 40's and this time of year they should be in the high twenties.

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
yep, and today it got up to 60 in E. PA.

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
South Central PA here. I have a Chinese Quince forest that looks like it has green Christmas lights all over it. There are probably close to 100 bright green buds throughout. She is in the garage, and moved to a darker area that gets no direct sunlight through any windows, just to discourage waking up too early.

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Weird weather or what? CNY and Mohawk Valley - golfers are happier than skiers & snowmobilers. Get the lawnmowers back out!

cship4885

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a euonymous already breaking bud here in NNJ. Going to move it into an unheated garage once I clear out a space for it. My two trident maples and a crab apple have not done the same though.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I have a euonymous already breaking bud here in NNJ. Going to move it into an unheated garage once I clear out a space for it. My two trident maples and a crab apple have not done the same though.
If the buds havn't actually opened, leave the tree outside with the pot heavily mulched, keeping it as cold as possible. Protecting it now will only hasten complete bud break, where trees lose all their winter hardiness and will need alot of light, which is hard to find in late January or early February, particularly in a garage.

Top Bottom