Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would holding an Ichiban help me with the NBW problem?:):p

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
Would holding an Ichiban help me with the NBW problem?:):p

Yes.............unless you can use the other hand!

Marco's right about the comfort factor of the Ichiban. Anyone who's worked 10 hrs a day for 7 days in a row on bonsai will attest to that. It can be tough working a Japanese Maple forest that takes two people just to carry. When I go up to Warren's I'm passed out by 9 pm. He'll work you to death. Always lot's of things to do at a bonsai nursery.

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have no problem with this kind of humor, but when you're trying to sell something I don't think it's very effective to insult your customers.

Ryan, I think what Marco was saying was that he does not view us as 'customers', just NBWs. His customers are the 'pros', not us "wannabes" .

And he's probably right, based on all of the Ichiban owned by those here.:p

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Marco is a marketing idiot. Great at bonsai no doubt. He needs to hire a marketing company to be a go between because he makes bad decisions outside his cultural context.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have no problem with this kind of humor, but when you're trying to sell something I don't think it's very effective to insult your customers.

Ryan, I think what Marco was saying was that he does not view us as 'customers', just NBWs. His customers are the 'pros', not us "wannabes" .

And he's probably right, based on all of the Ichiban owned by those here.:p

My bad....I meant potential customers. Imagine if McDonald's had this kind of advertising....insulting all the kids that don't buy their happy meals.....I can just hear the add now...[enter dream sequence with Ronald McDonald] "Hey kids, you're a Nerd if you don't buy a happy meal. Go out and get one like all the other cool kids." Wouldn't that be great:rolleyes:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I'm ambidextrous and have an ichiban, can I be an NBW AND a real bonsai type person?

Reaction score
I knew I shouldn't get involved with Bonsai Forum because I cannot keep my mouth shout.
Did I call everybody a NBW? the answer is NO.
Did I define what I consider to be a NBW? the answer is YES.

So why you all get so mad at the fact that I define a group of people who are not doing bonsai but they only bitching about it over the internet?

Did I mention names? Did I say that all the members of a certain bonsai blog are NBW? the answer is still NO.

Do you know what it cost to produce and design a bonsai tool handmade by MASAKUNI? no you don't.
Do you know how much it costed me just to make 1 prototype? no you don't. Well so far I made 8 of them.

And Mr.Yamadori, what did you call me? an IDIOT? How you dare? Between me and you who is making a living in the bonsai world is me, at the highest level btw. So who knows about this business is certanly not you. Wanker is a word that buddies use to call theirself or to lightly insult other buddies. I would never be so unpolite to call someone I never even met an IDIOT.

In my mailing list I have more than 5000 emails and from the email I sent out I got 150 emails telling me how funny it was and 4 emails telling me that it hasn't been appreciated.

I guess that certain people all get together in this forum.
Good to know.

And Vicky, I do bonsai for living, today I worked on a private collection for 8 hours and then I had 4 hours workshops, the last thing I want to do when I get off work is to work again. Sorry.

I work on trees. Every days. Or I work on ICHIBAN and I repeat, it's selling very well.
Good luck to you all.

clic8991

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
As I have just started bonsai and have not decided if I should regularly join these dogfights, I feel perhaps unqualified to join this thread, however, it seems to be a question of trust. To broadcast such a subtle advertisement to a consumer base who likely assume, and perhaps are, above such marketing gimmicks, seems patronizing and arrogant. This may also be brilliant, as either a positive or negative reaction will increase awareness of Marco and Ichiban. However, if you contrast the website of Macro Invernizzi (whose site actually crashes one of my browsers do to its bloat) and Walter Pall (Two bonsai artists that I admire, largely due to the internet), one cannot help be struck by how ostentatious Mr. Invernizzi site is as compared to Mr. Pall's information dense site. Both presumably have a similar ultimate goal (education, exposure, etc.) in maintaining websites, yet due it in remarkably different ways. If I was to extend this observation to tools Marco has created or things he has said, I might assume they are excessive and flashy; two things that I do not need. This is not to attack him but rather a comment on the resources and culture available to me as someone beginning bonsai.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Marco...

In the amount of time it took you to concoct that response... you could have done something useful. But no, that would not have satisfied your overweening pride.

There are a number of artists around the world who have long been contributors to the community because they love the art... not because they are paid for every single contribution they make. Clearly you aren't interested unless money is being flung your way. Fair enough... have fun with that.

I don't really care much what you do... My suggestion was only to give you an opportunity to do something positive, in the hopes that it might be possible to see you in a different light. Again, clearly you are not interested.

Regards,

Victrinia

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or I work on ICHIBAN and I repeat, it's selling very well.
Good luck to you all.

So whats the tally worldwide..500 units? A thousand?

Since 1958 350 million hula hoops have been sold at $1.98 a copy, your price may vary in 2010.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
any updates on the ICHIASS...anyone?

....hello?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Marco...

In the amount of time it took you to concoct that response... you could have done something useful. But no, that would not have satisfied your overweening pride.

There are a number of artists around the world who have long been contributors to the community because they love the art... not because they are paid for every single contribution they make. Clearly you aren't interested unless money is being flung your way. Fair enough... have fun with that.

I don't really care much what you do... My suggestion was only to give you an opportunity to do something positive, in the hopes that it might be possible to see you in a different light. Again, clearly you are not interested.

Regards,

Victrinia

overweening..?

we need to talk

bretts

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I too received this email and I must say that it has been a long time since I laughed so hard reading a bonsai forum thread.
I needed it especially after recent episodes of being banned from an online study group just because I suggested that a session was open ended and a question of mine was side stepped in said study group. Then to have the same moderator that banned me for such offensive conduct go onto another forum and abuse me using four letter words in abbreviation.:eek:

So who is the NBW? I can sympathise with Marco that has a number of people criticize his tool when they have never used it. I freak at the mention of stainless tools but have recently bitten the bullet to get a few base tools of good quality. Standard size branch cutter. Large size branch cutter and wire cutters. What I am still missing is a good set of leaf scissors and from what I hear about Marco's tool maybe spending about the same as I did for these three tools getting the ichiban might be a good idea for my next bite of the bullet.

Yet I think Marco does not understand the average bonsai hobbyist. Not all of us have the privilege of working under great masters with great pieces day in and day out.
Maybe I would not want to talk about welding online after I came home from doing it all day. But when I visit a welding forum I envy their passion for what can also be called an art.

Anyway whether it was a bad marketing ploy or not I thank Marco for the thoughts Vic for her curious wisdom. Al and others for their rib tickling humour and all of you for reminding us that we should not take online discussion so serious and personal. This site has had more than it's fair share of heated discussions but some how I feel this thread has made me realise you guys here on BN are doing real good at the moment. Taking online discussion to seriously is a much to easy mistake to make :D

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wanker is a word that buddies use to call theirself or to lightly insult other buddies.

Not where I come from. The term "Wanker" was/is a very offensive name to call some one. Again, I'm not personally offended by this, but it does go to show that this kind of marketing is very ignorant and immature. But hey, hollywood does it all the time when a certain star needs more exposure.....but exposure is usually all they get, at the expense of respect.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In Wikipedia it is defined this way, "Wanker may be indicated by a one-handed gesture, usually to an audience out of hearing range. It is shown by curling the fingers of the hand into a loose fist and moving the hand back and forth to mime male masturbation, which is equivalent to saying, "[you are a] wanker". The term wanker originated from British slang in the 1940s. Wanker literally means "one who wanks (masturbates)". In modern usage it is usually a general insult. It conveys contempt, not commentary on sexual habits. Wanker has similar meanings and overtones to American pejoratives like jerk, and jerk-off.

Dave you are from Australia, right? Wikipedia said, "In Australia it is considered mildly offensive but is widely accepted and used in the media. One connotation implies egotistical and self-indulgent behaviour. This is the dominant meaning in New Zealand and Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom