Arthur Joura's latest post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I don't give a shit about the "Japanese-ness" of bonsai. When I was a teenager, I might have been classified as a "weeaboo" because I watched anime and even took classes to learn Japanese... but as an "adult" I find the worshiping of Japanese culture so be pretty silly. Japan didn't invent bonsai. They didn't "refine" it, as so many claim. They gave it their own name and they put their own cultural spin on it. But you can't perfect an art of emotional expression.

As an individual, the best you can do is attempt to create trees that have the most emotional value to YOU. What other people say does not matter. Maybe I am projecting my feelings as a member of the LGBTQ minority, but I'm sick of looking for the acceptance of others, in any aspect of my life. So many people are obsessed with what others think. Find your own identity. When it comes to bonsai, grows trees that have the most emotional impact to you. If you think "the rules" define an "ideal tree" that's great, but understand that your opinion is no objective fact. It's a subjective opinion. Don't tell other people that what they're doing is wrong. Finally, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What one person finds ugly, another person may find beautiful. YOUR idea of what is beautiful is not universal. It's not objective or "right". Don't push it on others as if it were law.

In short: do what you want with your trees but don't be an asshole to others and enforce your beliefs as if they were objective facts.

Right...seems you skipped around a bit...smh.

"I must confess I needed little encouragement to disengage with all the Japanese baggage that usually accompanies bonsai. I have absolutely nothing against Japanese people or Japanese culture (despite slanderous statements to the contrary made in public by an international bonsai artist), but I have no special attraction to them, either. I try to get along with everyone and respect all cultures, but Japanese culture is no more specially appealing to me than French or Australian or Mexican culture. I do not relate to it because it is foreign to me, and I have my own culture that I like very much and feel most comfortable with. You can keep the sushi, but please pass me that North Carolina barbecue!"

Right...seems you skipped around a bit...smh.

"I must confess I needed little encouragement to disengage with all the Japanese baggage that usually accompanies bonsai. I have absolutely nothing against Japanese people or Japanese culture (despite slanderous statements to the contrary made in public by an international bonsai artist), but I have no special attraction to them, either. I try to get along with everyone and respect all cultures, but Japanese culture is no more specially appealing to me than French or Australian or Mexican culture. I do not relate to it because it is foreign to me, and I have my own culture that I like very much and feel most comfortable with. You can keep the sushi, but please pass me that North Carolina barbecue!"

How, exactly, does it seem like I skipped passed that bit? I wasn't disagreeing with Arthur, merely adding my own feelings and personal experiences about japanese cultural and the japaneseness of bonsai.

How, exactly, does it seem like I skipped passed that bit? I wasn't disagreeing with Arthur, merely adding my own feelings and personal experiences about japanese cultural and the japaneseness of bonsai.

Redundancy and relevancy?

Alright, let's look at the issue from the perspective you're promoting. How are you helping the community by furthering a conversation that you view to be regurgitation?

On advice of my counsel, I respectfully decline to answer your question and plead the fifth amendment.

Personally, I don't give a shit about the "Japanese-ness" of bonsai. When I was a teenager, I might have been classified as a "weeaboo" because I watched anime and even took classes to learn Japanese... but as an "adult" I find the worshiping of Japanese culture so be pretty silly. Japan didn't invent bonsai. They didn't "refine" it, as so many claim. They gave it their own name and they put their own cultural spin on it. But you can't perfect an art of emotional expression.

As an individual, the best you can do is attempt to create trees that have the most emotional value to YOU. What other people say does not matter. Maybe I am projecting my feelings as a member of the LGBTQ minority, but I'm sick of looking for the acceptance of others, in any aspect of my life. So many people are obsessed with what others think. Find your own identity. When it comes to bonsai, grows trees that have the most emotional impact to you. If you think "the rules" define an "ideal tree" that's great, but understand that your opinion is no objective fact. It's a subjective opinion. Don't tell other people that what they're doing is wrong. Finally, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What one person finds ugly, another person may find beautiful. YOUR idea of what is beautiful is not universal. It's not objective or "right". Don't push it on others as if it were law.

In short: do what you want with your trees but don't be an asshole to others and enforce your beliefs as if they were objective facts.
Wow. What happened here? Sounds like you're "enforcing your own beliefs."

I opened the link......
But it just reminded me of how much I love it here. I didn't read anything.
Sucks I don't get to read all that Vance stuff.....etc.. Etc....
I just can't do it.

I don't need to read it to know exactly where @GroveKeeper is coming from.
Maybe it's the fact that I haven't read it that keeps me in the "understand", open-minded.

Grove, I could Probly put pages here.....
Make a long ass winded post......
Oh the rant....

But I gotta go Ice fishing.....

If I had to sum it up in 2 words.....

Fucking Righteous!

Sorce

I havnt followed the thread that arthur posts on but I did read his post just not. I say cool. Everyone has there own way of bonsai. Good form him. If Walter doesn't like it "that's what I think is happening" then fuck Walter.
End

Im not Italian but I like pasta. Im not German but I like their beer.
Im not from Thailand but I like curry.
Im not from Japan or China but I like bonsai.
And so pasta at my house isnt like in Italy but it tastes good and Im happy to borrow from their culture, German beer tastes good even though Im not in Germany. But I thank them for it and enjoy it just the same. So why would I treat bonsai in another manner? As Americans we take the good from many cultures ( of course not only Americans do this) and we put our twist on whatever it is we are using to make it fit in our lives. If you like little trees in pots then grow some. Why try to pretend were from Asia? Its like pretending pizza from Dominos is Italian. So Im cool with learning the practice from whoever is teaching but in the end like any art it has to suit my cultural tastes.

"What other people say does not matter. Maybe I am projecting my feelings as a member of the LGBTQ minority, but I'm sick of looking for the acceptance of others, in any aspect of my life."

Uh, Yeah, you're projecting --turning this into your own personal soapbox on an entirely unrelated issue. I hardly think Arthur's post was political. In fact, it is about looking past stereotypes to a more inclusive vision of bonsai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom