Azalea Noob here...is this a bad sign? Or just too cold.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello, always have bad lucks with Azalea. This type of massive yellowing...is this normal or something is wrong?

Thank you

Attachments

• 20221015_172758.jpg
    20221015_172758.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 48
  • received_661981665336191.jpeg
    received_661981665336191.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 47

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Many azaleas in the landscape are partially deciduous and this appears to be one of them.
In zone 5 there are not a lot of azaleas to choose from. Which is this?

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Many azaleas in the landscape are partially deciduous and this appears to be one of them.
In zone 5 there are not a lot of azaleas to choose from. Which is this?
Not sure the name/variety...here's the picture when it flowered.

Attachments

• received_418452316756838.jpeg
    received_418452316756838.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 41

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Most azaleas can't handle below zone 6 or 7 cold. As Penumbra stated there are very few that can withstand down to zone 5. Not sure if what you are seeing is normal seasonal color change or something else

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most azaleas can't handle below zone 6 or 7 cold. As Penumbra stated there are very few that can withstand down to zone 5. Not sure if what you are seeing is normal seasonal color change or something else
That's why I kill most of my azaleas...and try to stay away from them. But sometimes I can't help myself. It's been growing outside for most of the spring and summer..went into the greenhouse 2 weeks ago.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It is spring leaves shedding. Plant looks very healthy.

Looks like Kaminoyamakirin, though not 100% sure.

Protect it from frost. If the ID is correct, it has Belgian indica blood ie zone 9 to 10 for one parent, zone 7 for the other.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are update photos...any idea? Normal? Or issue.

thank you.
20221022_085504.jpg

Attachments

• 20221022_085546.mp4
    1.7 MB

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Normal winter old leaves. That has white flowers?

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, very good!
1666450031576.png

In two, weeks, you will only have the green leaves left.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
If I remember correctly usually the fall color matches the flower color with pinks or whites giving yellow and deeper hues giving red. Maybe that was the reason for the question.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You can see the darker pigmented spots on the mostly yellow leaves in junmilo's photo.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't scroll up to see the flower pics. My bad. And yes that is why I asked. So bi color leaves mean bi color flowers cool! Thanks Glaucus. I think it was from you I learned about the red vrs yellow leaf thing too.

Azalea have become my favorite in my collection over the years for the fall color even above the flowers. The reds are spectacular and the don't all fall off. Wonderful!
1666455829835.jpeg

Last edited:

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I didn't scroll up to see the flower pics. My bad. And yes that is why I asked. So bi color leaves mean bi color flowers cool! Thanks Glaucus. I think it was from you I learned about the red vrs yellow leaf thing too.

Yes, but you can see more. Very often the variegation on the flowers will match those on the leaves, like this one:
So if the flower is white with coloured stripes, the leaves will be yellow with coloured stripes.

Not sure why for Junmilo's azalea, the type of patterning in the leaves doesn't match those in the flowers. But there are still pigmented spots.

If a colour is not variegated, but bicolour, ie a white center or a blotch, the flowers are orange or pink.
Variegated flowers have a random pattern, bicolour flowers have two colours following a set pattern, usually the same in all flowers.

Yes, best is autumn colour with leaves that all stay. Some azaleas have this colour change. They shed no leaves and all turn reddish or even purple.
So no difference between the spring and summer leaves.

Top Bottom