Bald cypress doing nothing yet

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you look past the beer you'll see a bald cypress that I got about a month ago. Not knowing a lot about bald cypress not sure how long it takes them to start showing growth in the spring. The tree has looked the same since I got it has growth showing but hasn't done anything since I've had it. Does it take a little time for them to take off in the spring?

image.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It don't look dead!
This year....is anything but a regular year!

So much so......that answers to that question no matter how accurate will mean absolutely nothing!

Earth.....Crazy!

Sorce

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine, much smaller than yours, has been growing like crazy. I have it sitting in my pond and it likes it. I've had it only a month and trunk has really grown in diameter alreadyIMG_20160509_165305919.jpg

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Forgot to mention it was shipped bare rooted.

Yeah I'm hoping it's not dead just don't think it's woke up yet for some reason. I'm sure getting down to 36 f last night didn't help matters.

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where did it come from? If it came from further south it needs to acclimate, make sure it is in full sun ;)

Grimmy
Came from Georgia and looking back it's been three weeks since I've had it. Just making sure I wasn't doing something wrong. Sounds like I may be just being impatient is all.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sounds like I may be just being impatient is all.

It looks healthy otherwise. We used to have a lot of those and as Lars said they can and do all act differently. Also I potted up 3 bare rooted a few weeks back. as with Lars the last one to push seems to be doing the best. They are all from the same grower, in the same substrate, and get the same sun, water and light :confused:

Grimmy

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
If you look past the beer you'll see a bald cypress that I got about a month ago. Not knowing a lot about bald cypress not sure how long it takes them to start showing growth in the spring. The tree has looked the same since I got it has growth showing but hasn't done anything since I've had it. Does it take a little time for them to take off in the spring?

It is demonstrably alive (note the green) and growing in its season. Check back with us about 2026 on how its doing.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
if this is one of those trees that is collected/dug and then put up for sale and then shipped out a week or more later(while the whole time it sat bare root somewhere)...I wouldn't expect much for a while....expect more normal growth next Spring.

For future reference...BC are exceptional species for their taper and fluted root bases...buying or selling one without these characteristics is suspect behavior.

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
if this is one of those trees that is collected/dug and then put up for sale and then shipped out a week or more later(while the whole time it sat bare root somewhere)...I wouldn't expect much for a while....expect more normal growth next Spring.

For future reference...BC are exceptional species for their taper and fluted root bases...buying or selling one without these characteristics is suspect behavior.
I would love to find a newly chopped tree with a fluted base and more taper. This one looked like it had more taper in the pictures but I guess because the roots are so tapered out. Once it's in the pot and covered in dirt doesn't have great taper.

Good to hear though that the growth is probably just stalled and I should be able to expect some growth in the future.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I've seen some of the trees being offered from a particular Ga. seller with low price tags. Don't know if that's were this came from, but those trees seem to be yanked and sold within a very short period. No root mass. I'd recommend getting this into direct sun -- to get some heat into the soil. Bottom heat can do wonders for root development. It's been pretty cold in the Mid-Atlantic and west for the last month. That may be part of the problem.

This isn't dead, just doesn't have the gas to go.

Also, ditto what John said about buttress and taper...

Reaction score
I purchased a lot (7 trees, the guy shipped me 9) last year from the fellow in GA. 7 out of nine grew moderately last year. Five survived the winter and are growing in a tray (my early try at a forest) placed sitting just above a fairly deep water (2-3 inch) container in water. The growth this year has been phenomenal. They are over 5 feet tall and a mass of green. They will probably outgrow my forest ideal and I will separate them next spring. I would recommend this seller- at least the smaller trees he offers.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I purchased a lot (7 trees, the guy shipped me 9) last year from the fellow in GA. 7 out of nine grew moderately last year. Five survived the winter and are growing in a tray (my early try at a forest) placed sitting just above a fairly deep water (2-3 inch) container in water. The growth this year has been phenomenal. They are over 5 feet tall and a mass of green. They will probably outgrow my forest ideal and I will separate them next spring. I would recommend this seller- at least the smaller trees he offers.
Link to seller?

Top Bottom