Bald Cypress Noob Question

Bird_Terd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just feel in love with bonsai this past year, so sorry in advance if my questions are silly.

Looking for some advice on a few things.

Here is my BC, nursery, made the chop a couple weeks ago, left it in nursery pot and have been watering it twice a day
IMG_1307.jpeg
It’s 17” tall. Base is 3”, only tapers up to 1”1/2.
I would like some advice on repotting.

My options are…. A beautiful 12”x8” pot.
IMG_1308.jpeg
Option #2. One of the wife’s plastic storage bins 23”x16”.
IMG_1309.jpeg
Or just leave it in the nursery pot??

The reasons Im wanting to repot is … I’m impatient, and really want to see the root system/ trim her back some because I’m sure it’s root bound.
Also wanting to put the younger BC (pictured below )into that larger nursery pot.
IMG_1310.jpeg
If that makes any since.

I dunno what I’m doing, but I’m having fun.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Try to leave impatience behind when you start bonsai. Impatience often leads to dead or damaged trees. We need to work with the trees' natural cycles for good results. I have always repotted BC in spring before they sprout new leaves. Cutting roots now while they are growing may not be good though recently chopped may be OK as the tree essentially has no leaves so dormant again.
@Cajunrider is one of our resident BC experts from Louisiana and may have some advice on this.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Forget about that pot. Move it to the storage bin. Take the BC out of the nursery pot and use a chop stick to pick away most of the soil to reveal the roots. Trim off the roots to get the tree comfortably in the bin with 2” to spare on the sides. Put 2” of potting soil in the bottom of the bin then put the tree in. Pour potting soil in until the roots are completely covered. Use chop stick to pack the soil into the roots. Put bin at a spot with only morning sun for a few weeks and water it as much as you can.

Post pictures of your progress and we’ll let you know when to move it to full sun and when to dunk it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely listen to everyone's advice. Patience is key. This will be my fourth summer doing bonsai. I learned to quit picking and messing with my trees so much last summer. Already noticing better results in growth and structure. Here's my suggestion for learning patience,... get some trees to play with. Pull seedlings out of your landscaping, dig up a sapling out of a ditch, get nursery stock on clearance or pester your friends or family about digging out unwanted landscaping bushes. Pick and poke on those and you'll accomplish 2 things at once,... not ruining something you care about and it shortens your learning curve.

Bird_Terd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Try to leave impatience behind when you start bonsai. Impatience often leads to dead or damaged trees. We need to work with the trees' natural cycles for good results. I have always repotted BC in spring before they sprout new leaves. Cutting roots now while they are growing may not be good though recently chopped may be OK as the tree essentially has no leaves so dormant again.
@Cajunrider is one of our resident BC experts from Louisiana and may have some advice on this.
Thanks Shibui

Bird_Terd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Forget about that pot. Move it to the storage bin. Take the BC out of the nursery pot and use a chop stick to pick away most of the soil to reveal the roots. Trim off the roots to get the tree comfortably in the bin with 2” to spare on the sides. Put 2” of potting soil in the bottom of the bin then put the tree in. Pour potting soil in until the roots are completely covered. Use chop stick to pack the soil into the roots. Put bin at a spot with only morning sun for a few weeks and water it as much as you can.

Post pictures of your progress and we’ll let you know when to move it to full sun and when to dunk it.
So you think would be ok to repot the chopped BC today?

I waited after the chop ((because it was my first ever)) and I can start to see small bumps where the new buds will be. Wasn’t sure if chopping roots would stress the tree out even more.

I think I’m going to wait , and do the root/repot work next year..
with Louisiana weather, it will warm up again in January lol.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

I waited after the chop ((because it was my first ever)) and I can start to see small bumps where the new buds will be. Wasn’t sure if chopping roots would stress the tree out even more.

Right now in Louisiana, I have no problem digging up a BC, bare root it, chop both the top and bottom and pot it.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Right now in Louisiana, I have no problem digging up a BC, bare root it, chop both the top and bottom and pot it.

Bird_Terd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another kinda silly question. Should I use the storage container pictured in my first post?
Or hit up a feed store and get a bucket type feeder?

The only reason I ask, the wife’s storage container seems flimsy.

Also, would you suggest popping a few holes in it? Or just let it ride with out.

I’m probably overthinking everything. I just want a happy tree

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Another kinda silly question. Should I use the storage container pictured in my first post?
Or hit up a feed store and get a bucket type feeder?

The only reason I ask, the wife’s storage container seems flimsy.

Also, would you suggest popping a few holes in it? Or just let it ride with out.

I’m probably overthinking everything. I just want a happy tree
I would get a bus tub, an oil pan, or a feed pan. I generally don’t like clear pot. Yes. Put a few drain holes in it. I don’t like to dunk BCs until they have good roots.

Bird_Terd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks again for your advice.
Hey @Cajunrider , looking for some more advice.
One of my BC trees , which I haven’t repotted or chopped, had a beautiful flush about a week ago. Now I’ve noticed most of the leaves are starting to get brown and brittle on the ends. Not sure where I went wrong.
I had it sitting in a bucket of water , about half the height of the nursery pot.

So I took it out and kinda moved it more in the shade.

Any thoughts?

Bird_Terd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey @Cajunrider , looking for some more advice.
One of my BC trees , which I haven’t repotted or chopped, had a beautiful flush about a week ago. Now I’ve noticed most of the leaves are starting to get brown and brittle on the ends. Not sure where I went wrong.
I had it sitting in a bucket of water , about half the height of the nursery pot.

So I took it out and kinda moved it more in the shade.

Any thoughts?
Sorry, but I have another question.
My other BC , I chopped and still have in the nursery pot. It finally started to get lil bumps and sprouts, BUT my little sprouts are a dull brownish green color. Have you experienced this before? And what should I do/don’t do?

I’m at work rn, I can post some pics later today.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Trevor. Excellent thread.

This being patient thing is torcher!
Adding tree’s to your collection of pre bonsai or bonsai material helps. Different species in different stages of development help keep a person busy. It can be torcher if you have only a couple tree’s because the reality is these bald cypress you have are going to take years to develop and you will be limited to what you can do throughout the year. So if you want to do more bonsai work. It is get more material or kill your tree from overworking and stressing it out. Welcome and good luck with your tree’s!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Sorry, but I have another question.
My other BC , I chopped and still have in the nursery pot. It finally started to get lil bumps and sprouts, BUT my little sprouts are a dull brownish green color. Have you experienced this before? And what should I do/don’t do?

I’m at work rn, I can post some pics later today.
All my BCs in full sun now have a tint of bronze in their leaf color and buds as well. If I move them to part shade, they will become lush green again.

Bird_Terd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a pic of the browning / brittle tips on one of my treesIMG_1328.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1329.jpeg
    IMG_1329.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom