Bald Cypress

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes sorry, the General Sherman is in Sequoia. Yosemite has the Grizzly Giant and the Mariposa Grove. The GG is 100 feet in circumference and is around 2,700 years old. You think I would have that information right being as they are in my backyard. DUH.

Attachments

• Grizzly_Giant_Mariposa_Grove.jpg
    Grizzly_Giant_Mariposa_Grove.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm just happy that something I remembered actually happened!

I envy you and your backyard!

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel very lucky to live here. We even have our own rock formation on our property that is larger than our house. We are lower in elevation than the Yosemite Valley floor so we are in an oak woodlands to pine / cedar forest transition zone. There are so many different trees and we have some amazing manzanita too. We get snow but not too much. It is pretty sweet, except for the poison oak.

Attachments

• IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 55

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Invite us out to find yamadori, Yamadori.:D:D You've got more than your share :D:D

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would love to start a tree tour of Yosemite from the perspective of the bonsai artist. trees like this...

Shoot, now I cant find my photo file. I'll get back to ya.

Last edited:

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel very lucky to live here. We even have our own rock formation on our property that is larger than our house. We are lower in elevation than the Yosemite Valley floor so we are in an oak woodlands to pine / cedar forest transition zone. There are so many different trees and we have some amazing manzanita too. We get snow but not too much. It is pretty sweet, except for the poison oak.

What a magical part of the world you live in - I remember my time there very fondly. You're very fortunate to live there :)

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Anyway, after my thread was viciously hijacked and thrown offcourse, can we get back to what the thread is about please?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Maybe "viciously" shouldn't have been thrown in there. Just extremely hijacked.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Okay let's just forget about it and move on. Let's discuss the thread topic please.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the more traditional Japanese style sadly.

Be proud that you prefer the Japanese schools of styling. I am :D... Unfortunately there are some high profile bonsai artists (maybe just one) that are not only promoting their "Naturalistic" preference but also thumbing their nose at anyone who adheres to a more Japanese school of thought. That may be why you feel you should be "sad" about your preference? Don't be. Their are many like you....and me!

You're stock has the potential to be a traditional formal upright. I just started working with BC this past season and they grow like weeds in Central Florida. Not sure how fast they grow where you are, but I would think you could achieve something special in the way of branches within 5 years or so.

Last edited:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks Ryan! I do believe I like the Japanese style, but yes that is why I feel bad because it just doesn't look as natural. I hope they grow as crazy here as they do in Florida, but who knows. I was told on another forum not to use moisture control soil. He said that just because they like moisture does not mean it should be grown in that type of soil. Thanks everyone!

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was told on another forum not to use moisture control soil. He said that just because they like moisture does not mean it should be grown in that type of soil. Thanks everyone!

... but I wouldn't dismiss chopped sphagnum moss as part of you soil.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Oh I won't. I am going to use the pond soil that I mentioned in another thread and use perlite, sphagnum moss, and bark chips in the mix. THe question of where to shop it still remains however.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Where should I chop it? I've heard mixed reviews. Thanks!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Unfortunately there are some high profile bonsai artists (maybe just one) that are not only promoting their "Naturalistic" preference but also thumbing their nose at anyone who adheres to a more Japanese school of thought."

This is an unfortunate take on the advice being offered here. BC works so well in "natural" styles because of its peculiar growth habits. It tends to be apically dominant. It grows vigorously at angles--angular growth in the apex is a particular trait--look at the photos of wild BC--ALOT of right angled upper branches.

This tendency can frustrate "traditional Japanese" methods. It has been used for some time as bonsai material in Japan, where it is known as "feather robe pine." It has never been developed adequately there in decades, despite its use. There is rather pathetic looking BC in Kyzo Murata's book "Four Seasons of Bonsai." In the passage accompanying the photo --which is of a formal upright BC--Murata says something like "the wild growth of the bald cypress is mostly unmanageable" but its pretty leaves make up for it, or something like that. BC is VERY manageable, if you know WHY it grows like it does. The Japanese just don't know how to make the tree work for them.

Naturalistic style is more effective on bald cypress because it harnesses what the tree wants to do naturally. Imposing a rigid Japanese triangle on it won't solve that issue.

I'd skip the sphagnum moss in the soil. It's not substantial enough to anchor much of anything in the pot. Plain old bagged topsoil, along with bark chips and 20 percent haydite or pumice will work fine. Skip the moisture control additives. They are unsightly and mostly useless.

Where to chop it? If you're set on the formal upright design--I'd chop half way up (or a little less) and wait for a new leader to pop--then pull it into position, wait until it thickens, chop the leader, pull up a new one, etc. until you've got taper.

Last edited:

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
BC is VERY manageable, if you know WHY it grows like it does. The Japanese just don't know how to make the tree work for them.

Naturalistic style is more effective on bald cypress because it harnesses what the tree wants to do naturally. Imposing a rigid Japanese triangle on it won't solve that issue.

You have raised an extremely valuable point and a point that many should take notice to. It would indeed be a frustrating battle (not to mention a loosing one) trying to go against the grain so to speak. A simple metaphor do not attempt to grow and style something vertically, when the tree was designed to grow horizontally by nature.

I'd skip the sphagnum moss in the soil. It's not substantial enough to anchor much of anything in the pot. Plain old bagged topsoil, along with bark chips and 20 percent haydite or pumice will work fine. Skip the moisture control additives. They are unsightly and mostly useless.

I recommended sphagnum moss for its natural ability to absorb and retain moisture. Albeit it doesn't posses anchoring properties as such, it is one that should not be readily dismissed as a component in modern bonsai substrate. However, we should never even contemplate IMO any artificial moisture control additives for previously stated reasons.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I mostly don't recommend sphagnum moss for people beginning to make their own soil, as they usually never get the right stuff. They don't get the long fibered kind and chop it up. They usually wind up with peat moss:

http://grow.ars-informatica.ca/gallery.php?img=9

which is bad in bonsai soil.

This is what can work in bonsai soil--IF you use enough of it:
http://www.mossman381.com/servlet/Categories

Long fibered sphagnum moss can be used straight, packed tightly into the rootball of a tree. This can actually rejuvenate a sick plant. There are also drawbacks to using sphagnum:

http://www.dhpe.org/infect/sporotric.html

The cautionary tale of Brian Batchelder dieing from the infection springs to mind...

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
in my experience, if you are buying sphagnum moss, always look for the new zealand sphagnum moss, they come in small bails and they are cleanear than suppliers who get them from wisconsin (no dead dried twigs leaves and roots of other plants).

eric

Top Bottom