Bald Cypress

Paddy

Seed
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

Just received a bald cypress with a split branch. This is a branch that I really want to keep. I tied it and secured it with wire and then sealed it. See the photos. I believe and was told that it should heal itself. Anybody have experience with this type of repair on a bald cypress? I will be gently placing this tree into a larger pot to give it more space for new root growth.

Thanks,
Paddy

Attachments

• P1010006.jpg
    P1010006.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 87
  • P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 86
  • P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 90
  • A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 109

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have had some success with healing breaks like that on Bald Cypress, but your's looks pretty bad. No harm would come from trying any way. The main part that is attached to the tree will survive and put out new shoots around the wound in a week or so if you go ahead a cut the rest of it (part broken) off. If it were mine, I would cut both of the top branches off as they are, to me, a bit thick for the apex. They grow really fast and hard on top and you will have a nice apex by this time next year. Just my two cents.

Paddy

Seed
Reaction score
flat top

Hi Mullet,

This tree was started as a flat top and that's how I would like to continue to train it.
Thanks for your advice, I'll give the tree a little time first before I cut it off.

Paddy

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
Should be OK. The bark still looks connected and you tied it up good. So it will probably heal in the next month or two but I shall just keep it tied up good and look for wire bite.

Paddy

Seed
Reaction score
will do

Hey snobird,

Will do. I'll check for wire bite and see what happens.

Thanks,
Paddy

Top Bottom