Beech ground layering?

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A very cool american beech!

Just trying to go about this the best way possible to maybe have a chance at pulling this off.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for steering me to your thread. The only way I could get mine out was a chainsaw. I'd recommend a saws-all if you have a battery-operated machine or a mile of extension cords. That, or use an old chain that's been resharpened so many times you've just about used it up. Don't go ruining your new chain. Also, use bar and chain oil liberally to keep the chain free of debris. Also, be prepared to have the saw kick like a mule. Also, on second thought, maybe I'm just a dumb@$$ who has no business walking around with all ten fingers.

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was unable to get out last spring/summer to attempt a layer, this spring I'm going to give it a shot. I'll be updating as I go, stay tuned.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for steering me to your thread. The only way I could get mine out was a chainsaw. I'd recommend a saws-all if you have a battery-operated machine or a mile of extension cords. That, or use an old chain that's been resharpened so many times you've just about used it up. Don't go ruining your new chain. Also, use bar and chain oil liberally to keep the chain free of debris. Also, be prepared to have the saw kick like a mule. Also, on second thought, maybe I'm just a dumb@$$ who has no business walking around with all ten fingers.
Axes and shovels, friend. Don't overthink it. Take a pickax or Polaski for this one I would say.

If you can dig down to the bottom side of that main root and find anything of substance coming out of it, you ought to be safe just cutting the section you want out and dropping it in a box to grow new roots. Next year, pull it out of the box, stand it on end and take an ax to it to remove the very bottom section of the main root like splitting wood. Put it back in the box and wait until next year and do it again. Repeat until you've whittled it down to a point you feel like it's turning into nebari.

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, right or wrong it's done!

Started off by removing the bark all the way around
20210529_122814.jpg
20210529_122831.jpg

Then I scraped off what I could, this was difficult because of the irregular trunk shape. After that I cleaned up the top edge with a razor blade and wiped it down with rubbing alcohol.
20210529_123955.jpg

Then I built a cage around the tree, filled with chopped sphagnum, and bent the edge over to contain everything. I also packed mud around the bottom to hold it in place. Finally I wrapped it up to help keep it moist. I won't be able to visit this tree too often so hopefully this will help.
20210529_124924.jpg
20210529_125931.jpg20210529_130302.jpg

The final touch, covered with leaves to keep prying eyes off!
20210529_130405.jpg

Attachments

• 20210529_122837.jpg
    20210529_122837.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210529_123950.jpg
    20210529_123950.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210529_123950.jpg
    20210529_123950.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 5

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
interesting project i hope it works out. could have a cool little tree there too:)

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here's hoping! The tricky part will be the separation if this actually works, it will definitely require a chainsaw.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here's hoping! The tricky part will be the separation if this actually works, it will definitely require a chainsaw.
I'm fascinated by the shape, and wondering if you've given thought to how to reduce the wood that will be left under the new roots if it works.
Maybe just shave it down with a knife? Drill into it and let it rot away?
An axe or hatchet to split it away like chopping wood seems careless, but I suppose it depends on how good you are with a big blade.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work! This should work well. You might have to accept loss of rootmass when you go and collect this. Possible just easiest to remove the net&plastic, then take one of these along and slice through it all. (Or spend a bit of time excavating the roots and trimming them back manually, wiring up and then slicing it off.

1622348895148.png

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well I think if this actually takes root, at collection, I will just leave everything intact and just cut a large, 18" section of the parent root out, take it home for the surgery. Probably a combination Sawzall, band saw, root pruners and whatever else gets the job done.

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very interesting tree. You must have a lot of hungry deer around you. Here, the deer do not seem to bother with beech.

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, there are alot of deer in the area and they keep these pretty trimmed up. The natural hedge pruning method, and it works! Not sure when the browsing occurs though, most likely winter.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well, right or wrong it's done!

Started off by removing the bark all the way around
View attachment 377647
View attachment 377646

Then I scraped off what I could, this was difficult because of the irregular trunk shape. After that I cleaned up the top edge with a razor blade and wiped it down with rubbing alcohol.
View attachment 377649

Then I built a cage around the tree, filled with chopped sphagnum, and bent the edge over to contain everything. I also packed mud around the bottom to hold it in place. Finally I wrapped it up to help keep it moist. I won't be able to visit this tree too often so hopefully this will help.
View attachment 377654
View attachment 377659View attachment 377660

The final touch, covered with leaves to keep prying eyes off!
View attachment 377661
Looks good! Hopefully you can visit it often to check and water. Did you wipe the carved area with alcohol to keep it from bridging? Your cut may be a little narrow if not.

Stella

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
would love to see what you do with this. holding thumbs it will work. this will end up such an epic tree if you can get it out

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'll get out there as much as I can!

Yes , I did thoroughly wipe down the whole area with alcohol. It was hard to get any wider of a gap because of the shape and angles of the root, hopefully it doesn't bridge the gap.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice work! This should work well. You might have to accept loss of rootmass when you go and collect this. Possible just easiest to remove the net&plastic, then take one of these along and slice through it all. (Or spend a bit of time excavating the roots and trimming them back manually, wiring up and then slicing it off.

View attachment 377850

I swear by those Milwaukee tools for demolition. They saw through nails and bolts like butter.

Top Bottom