Beginner in need of help for his Chinese elm

Michel

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I am an absolute bonsai beginner and have had a Chinese elm since October last year.
The tree initially set up perfectly well in the new surroundings but since we moved house in December 2020 it has not been doing so well.
It first lost most of its leaves which I knew was a possibility so I wasn't too worried.
The problem now is that the new shoots tend to turn brown a few days after coming out.
I guess it is a watering problem but I don't know if I'm giving it too much water or not enough.
I suspect it is too much but I would like advice from more experienced members please.
I don't want my bonsai to die...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You maybe watering to frequently. A tree with little to no foliage needs watered less.i highly recommend using this method to help understand when you should water.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Hard to be sure of anything when we have not seen the tree and don't know which part of the world you live in. A location gives us valuable clues about your local climate and seasons.
Where are you keeping this tree?
Light levels?
How often watering?
Soil type?
Size of tree and size of pot?
all these factors can influence how a tree grows or does not.

Michel

Seedling
Reaction score
You maybe watering to frequently. A tree with little to no foliage needs watered less.i highly recommend using this method to help understand when you should water.

Thank you very much for your reply and for your advice.

Michel

Seedling
Reaction score
Hard to be sure of anything when we have not seen the tree and don't know which part of the world you live in. A location gives us valuable clues about your local climate and seasons.
Where are you keeping this tree?
Light levels?
How often watering?
Soil type?
Size of tree and size of pot?
all these factors can influence how a tree grows or does not.
Thank you very much for your reply. I live in Oxford in the UK and the tree is kept inside in a room with good light and temperature fluctuating between 18 and 22°C. I did the test of planting a small stick of wood in the pot to see how dry or wet it was and it was wet to the bottom so I think it's too much water. See pictures attached.

Attachments

• Bonsai.jpg
    Bonsai.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Stick.jpg
    Stick.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 31

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Thanks for the extra info.
You need to be aware that there is no such thing as an indoor tree. It is possible to keep Chinese elm indoors but not really easy for most people.
The good thing is that Chinese elm are pretty tough and resilient. The few new shoots look pretty good so it is trying to get over whatever problem it has had. Some of the upper branches could die. That's something that does happen to Chinese elms all over the world occasionally so not always your fault.
I would agree to letting it get just a little drier before watering in future as air is as important in the soil as water.

Good luck with getting this one to recover from the problem.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd uncross them fingers and keep scrolling!

Welcome to Crazy!

How do you water and how often?

What changed with the move?

Pics of before the move?

I just don't see it being fine, then all of a sudden you are overwatering. Makes more sense it's environmental, and changing watering may kill it.

If it sits in a half inch of water for a week it may be overwatered. If not....

Sorce

Michel

Seedling
Reaction score
I'd uncross them fingers and keep scrolling!

Welcome to Crazy!

How do you water and how often?

What changed with the move?

Pics of before the move?

I just don't see it being fine, then all of a sudden you are overwatering. Makes more sense it's environmental, and changing watering may kill it.

If it sits in a half inch of water for a week it may be overwatered. If not....

Sorce
Hi Sorce
Thank you for your reply.
Not much has changed before and after the move to be frank hence my surprise at the sudden deterioration.
I water the tree once or twice a day, early morning and early evening, with a small water can.
I will slow down the water in a bit and see how it's doing.
I will come back to the forum if things are getting worse.
Thanks again
Michel

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Water when it's dry, not when you think it's time. You can use the match stick to see that.
Is it above a heater? In front of a (South-facing) window?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The only thing that's concerning is the browning of new growth, but if it's "trying to go dormant inside", that could be the reason.

I wouldn't turn to change of care as the culprit.

Sorce

Top Bottom