Berberis

Baz

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi all
I would like to grow a Berberis Shohin from a thick hardwood cutting would it be ok this time of year in a propogation box
Any advice would be most welcome I would also like to hear from any people that have them do they make good bonsai and what care is needed

Many thanks

Baz
England Z8

Gnome

Mame
Reaction score
Baz,

I have been doing a little work with Barberry. I have a few fairly insignificant specimens that I have collected and some seedling for the future. I have also found that they air layer easily, so this may be a better approach than a hardwood cutting.

Norm

Attachments

• Barberry.jpg
    Barberry.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 53

redroo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Hi all
I would like to grow a Berberis Shohin from a thick hardwood cutting would it be ok this time of year in a propogation box
Any advice would be most welcome I would also like to hear from any people that have them do they make good bonsai and what care is needed
Many thanks
Baz England Z8

Gidday Baz,

Suggest you wait until the warmer days of Spring and the new buds are showing before you do any repotting.

I have two on the go, both small, and I am waiting as well. As for treatment, well all of my trees grow in 100% akadama, so I treat them [the differing species] much like each other, don't have any problems and no winter losses, but I live on a fourth floor balcony and because of surrounding buildings, I am fortunate enough to have a micro-climate, never no frost, but one thing I suggest is do not cut off all those thorns, belongs to the species and aids it's survival, I'm thinking.

That's it for now, success to you,
redroo

Baz

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi Redroo
Many thanks for the reply and information the trouble is I already have the Cuttings in a hot box with rooting hormone and planted in peat and sand in individual pots
They were removed from a hedge next door when they cut it down they are about three quarters of an inch thick and 4inch long just about right for shohin they have been in the box for about 2 weeks I keep them misted and at 20degrees Centigrade (bottom heat) there has been no signe of dying off they are still green
I could get a young plant from a garden centre or nursery but they are only thin cuttings and its not the cost its the chalenge

Barry
England Z8

Baz

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi Gnome
I have for some years now wanted to try a couple of diferent Berberis bonsai but never got round to it for one reason or anothere the one I am trying to grow is Thumbergi atropurpurea the one with purple leaves I would also like to trye berberis darwini

Barry

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Baz,

I have been doing a little work with Barberry. I have a few fairly insignificant specimens that I have collected and some seedling for the future. I have also found that they air layer easily, so this may be a better approach than a hardwood cutting.

Norm

Norm, what a fantastic photo of yoiur air layer after separation. You have the makings of a wonderful root pad for that tree. Can you share a photo of the new nebari taken at the same time?

Gnome

Mame
Reaction score
Chris,

Thanks, here you go, but I'm not sure I would refer to this as a nebari. These pictures were taken in September 2005 and, unfortunately, the plant did not survive the subsequent winter. I learned the hard way that such tender, new roots need more protection than established plants.

Norm

Attachments

• Barberry-2.jpg
    Barberry-2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 43

Baz

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi to all concerned
some days ago I posted a Query about growing thick cuttings of Berberis in a hot box at 20 degrees centigrade
Its winter here in England 8 degrees Centigrade the Berberis I planted in peat and sand with rooting powder abt 3 weeks ago have now started to root and showing sighns of buding

Many thanks to all those people that gave me information

BARRY

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chris,

Thanks, here you go, but I'm not sure I would refer to this as a nebari. These pictures were taken in September 2005 and, unfortunately, the plant did not survive the subsequent winter. I learned the hard way that such tender, new roots need more protection than established plants.

Norm

Norm,
Don't worry about the look from the top here. Obviously you will need to pick and choose from among roots like that. Sorry about your loss of the tree, but hey, we've all been there. Keep up the propagation!

Gnome

Mame
Reaction score
Baz,

the Berberis I planted in peat and sand with rooting powder abt 3 weeks ago have now started to root and showing sighns of buding
Good for you. Have you actually seen roots yet? I ask because sometimes cutting can appeat to be rooting when they are really just running on reserve.

Chris,

Thanks, I'll do better next time. Two steps forward, one step back.

Norm

Baz

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi
yes they are roots I carfully removed the pot and I could see roots just breaking through on the bottom of the cutting
I also have Box Cuttings about the same size 4inchx theree quarter from my own bush in the garden they are also showing budding
The box I use is just a large wooden box with a 24inchx15inch clear plastic storage box upside down on the top I use a metal tray suspended above the heater the heater is a 15watt night light Bulb and a room thermostat it works fine and has done for the past 6 years

Barry
England Zone8

Top Bottom