Best Places to Buy Bonsai Online?

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I had that link before I posted. I have been beating that drum for years. I have no skin in the game, just a good friend that has good material at good prices. It is even better if you can go in person.
They currently don’t seem to have much stock available online. Do they have more stock available that’s not listed?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Most my entire collection was bought from online sources. Here is links to where I would buy again from.

Dasu Bonsai if over $100 you get free shipping..

Or reach out on Facebook to him. Which is what I do. I have several quirky trees from him.

https://www.nebonsai.com/ I've a few trees from here.

Matt Smith sells some trees of his own...and some for Brussels. Good guy.

Scott Lee you can message in messenger. My neagari azalea and gingko came from him. But no website. I usually give characteristics of what I'm wanting and price point. Or if specific species that works too.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
These guys are super old school, mail order catalog! I’ve heard great things, though.
They are super nice guys, willing to answer all your questions and plants are really nice for the price.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Most my entire collection was bought from online sources. Here is links to where I would buy again from.

Dasu Bonsai if over $100 you get free shipping..

Or reach out on Facebook to him. Which is what I do. I have several quirky trees from him.

https://www.nebonsai.com/ I've a few trees from here.

Matt Smith sells some trees of his own...and some for Brussels. Good guy.

Scott Lee you can message in messenger. My neagari azalea and gingko came from him. But no website. I usually give characteristics of what I'm wanting and price point. Or if specific species that works too.
I hadn’t been to Schley’s site in awhile. Looks good. Nice selection. Way better than I remember.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I hadn’t been to Schley’s site in awhile. Looks good. Nice selection. Way better than I remember.
I've never actually bought from his site. He shares things on his Facebook wall...that catch my eye. Then a few times I've just asked for a specific species. Like my Kumquat and Flying Dragon. I asked him for both those...and he had them. Sent price point and he sent me images that I chose from. A few friends who are dabbling in bonsai...I've reached out with price point for them as well...and he sent images.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I like that you mentioned Facebook auctions…. I don’t want to say who they are , but some individuals in particular are always selling and it seems like they’re trying to make money vs selling off quality bonsai… idk maybe it’s me but it’s something I caught on to….
There are people that try to sell junk on there. People that set the starting bid on a tool for $33 and the BIN for $35...lol, and then there are some really good deals you can snag. I got this willow leaf pre-bonsai for $46.

1631730344914.png
1631730389305.png

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
There are people that try to sell junk on there. People that set the starting bid on a tool for $33 and the BIN for $35...lol, and then there are some really good deals you can snag. I got this willow leaf pre-bonsai for $46.

View attachment 397895
View attachment 397896
Just can’t get into tropical/ficus … doesn’t remind me of my surroundings or mountains I visited out west/ east coast before .

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Just can’t get into tropical/ficus … doesn’t remind me of my surroundings or mountains I visited out west/ east coast before .
Understandable, everyone has different likes and dislikes in all forms of art and collecting. I honestly can't stand almost all junipers unless they're gnarly Yamadori specimens.

To be honest, the more I get into this hobby and look at different styles, the more I'm learning that I prefer non-traditional styles like Fairy Tale and Naturalistic. I'd guess that 80% of what I draw and paint are trees, or landscapes with trees as the focal subject/s, and all the trees I draw/paint are fantasy/fairy tale inspired, or a reference from a photo I took of a really cool tree I came across in the wild. I also grew up in the PNW and Western Montana, and I know it's shaped which species of trees I prefer and my art tends to reflects that.

1631733246820.png
1631733286558.png
1631733307069.png
1631733336081.png

I just discovered @BobbyLane's work and I really love his style.

I've learned to enjoy Ficus because in the winter, it's nice to have trees inside that I can look at, as well as nice to have on my office desk.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Understandable, everyone has different likes and dislikes in all forms of art and collecting. I honestly can't stand almost all junipers unless they're gnarly Yamadori specimens.

To be honest, the more I get into this hobby and look at different styles, the more I'm learning that I prefer non-traditional styles like Fairy Tale and Naturalistic. I'd guess that 80% of what I draw and paint are trees, or landscapes with trees as the focal subject/s, and all the trees I draw/paint are fantasy/fairy tale inspired, or a reference from a photo I took of a really cool tree I came across in the wild. I also grew up in the PNW and Western Montana, and I know it's shaped which species of trees I prefer and my art tends to reflects that.

View attachment 397898
View attachment 397899
View attachment 397900
View attachment 397901

I just discovered @BobbyLane's work and I really love his style.

I've learned to enjoy Ficus because in the winter, it's nice to have trees inside that I can look at, as well as nice to have on my office desk.
i forgot about those, absolutely rad.
do you have a instagram or link to your art?

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ebay
If you're patient enough to weed your way through all of the mallsai, you can find really decent pre-bonsai, show worthy material, pots, wire, tools, scrolls, and much more.

discdog

Seed
Reaction score
First post on here, and I’m tooting someone’s horn. Hahaha. But, another vote for www.wigertsbonsai.com. I bought a nice pre-bonsai ficus from them and Angela was awesome about taking pictures of different trees and messaging them to me. Well packed and had a heater pack, just in case. I will do business with them again! Just wish I was closer for an “in person” visit.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bonsai is the wrong profession to be in if you’re goal is to only make money… that’s the point. You sacrifice quality for something “wow rare , great trunk” when it really isn’t , and they’re just selling shit with a high price tag.
Facebooks auctions is mostly items being sold by people who are not in the bonsai profession. with that said, yea folks occasionally list some poor quality stuff at absurd prices. From time to time people even buy it.

I’ve sold a bunch of stuff on the auction pages by setting low starting bids and no reserves. I’ve been surprised with how much people paid for things a handful of times. But I do like money so it works out.

Top Bottom