Best prices on Akadama?

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi! Where do you guys get your Akadama from? I've been buying it from Tinyroots and looking for a more economical outlet. Thanks

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Napa!

No worries, they'll come now!

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hi! Where do you guys get your Akadama from? I've been buying it from Tinyroots and looking for a more economical outlet. Thanks
You can shop around on line... plenty of sellers to compare pricing and shipping, which is the major factor built into the overall price. The most economical way to purchase akadama is in bulk... as in a pallet of bags. Splitting the cost with others will reduce the price of shipping for you

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Over here in Europe, aquarium stores offer the same akadama as bonsai stores but at a way lower price. Not sure if its the same in the US, but worth a search nonetheless!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The most inexpensive way to go is to find some friends interested in splitting a pallet. If you buy it by the bag (especially if it’s repackaged) and shipped to you individually, it ain’t cheap. In bulk, it’s very similar in price to other budget materials that folks like to promote. There are a number of places that will ship to you by the pallet. In my resource I’ve listed a number of them. You can shop around and get yourself a reasonable shipping quote. I usually pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $20-25 for a bag (that includes shipping). Pretty competitive considering how much larger the fraction of usable sized material is in it.

S

Last edited:

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I buy from a local supplier who gets pallets imported. They’re $36 for each bag… which are something like 1.5 cubic feet.

(I know this option doesn’t work for many of y’all—I’m hoping to add to pricing discussions)

Top Bottom