Best time to move from grow pot to bonsai pot for a large Delonix Regia?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I will be moving this tree from the 55 gal cut off grow pot to a training pot early 2022. I am planning to do major root pruning and the branches will likely be cut back to 1.5" from the main trunk.
When do you guys think will be a good time?
Some info: I am in 9A and the tree usually starts to bud early March and will be fully leafed by the end of April. The big growth occurs in May through August.

0541928D-68F6-43C7-8002-78E673C37338.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd want to chop it while it has all that root mass to bud back hard and give you options, like, summer 22. Then allow that regrowth time to give energy enough to safely repot it summer 23.

Though you may be able to slam this all into 22.

Sorce

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'd want to chop it while it has all that root mass to bud back hard and give you options, like, summer 22. Then allow that regrowth time to give energy enough to safely repot it summer 23.

Though you may be able to slam this all into 22.

Sorce
I did that last year and the year before that. It will bud back hard and grow like crazy. All the 5 ft long branches you see was growth from April 2021 to now. I am ready to strongly limits its growth since the trunk is about the size I want and the root base is proportional to the trunk. This is going to be a top and bottom insult similar to a yamadori collection, I want to make sure I do it at the right time. I was thinking about doing this late in February just before bud break or early March just right after bud break.
Oh. I forgot to mention that I usually chop the branches when I bring it indoor in late December. So I likely will cut the branches this year around Dec 15. Then repot in late Feb or early March?

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn.

If you're getting growth like that in one year, I'd rather see you use the power of pruning, to both build more structure and "lessen" vigour.

Rather than lessen vigour by removing roots, which I feel is still slightly premature.

Sorce

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Damn.

If you're getting growth like that in one year, I'd rather see you use the power of pruning, to both build more structure and "lessen" vigour.

Rather than lessen vigour by removing roots, which I feel is still slightly premature.

Sorce
If I were to continue to live in the South that would be my plan. However, I am moving to PA in less than 3 years so I much rather put it in pot in 2022 and moving in 2024 than risk doing the move with a newly repotted plant with severe insult plus a change in climate. This is one of the trees I plan to keep along with my BCs, live oaks, tamarinds, and ilex.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I were to continue to live in the South that would be my plan. However, I am moving to PA in less than 3 years so I much rather put it in pot in 2022 and moving in 2024 than risk doing the move with a newly repotted plant with severe insult plus a change in climate.

This'd be a scenario where I think you'd find more value selling that tree before you leave, in favor of something more suitable to the new climate.

Not only do you get to save mad hassle, of the move and the future, but you, for the righteousness of the bonsai community as a whole, will be leaving a tree where it can be well enjoyed much sooner than if you were to take the task on by yourself.

You can probably search me saying "super selfish" to understand what this means in my world.....
I see keeping it as selfish.
And leaving it super selfish.

Because even you stand a better chance enjoying that tree sooner in the future if left.

Be super selfish!

Sorce

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
This'd be a scenario where I think you'd find more value selling that tree before you leave, in favor of something more suitable to the new climate.

Not only do you get to save mad hassle, of the move and the future, but you, for the righteousness of the bonsai community as a whole, will be leaving a tree where it can be well enjoyed much sooner than if you were to take the task on by yourself.

You can probably search me saying "super selfish" to understand what this means in my world.....
I see keeping it as selfish.
And leaving it super selfish.

Because even you stand a better chance enjoying that tree sooner in the future if left.

Be super selfish!

Sorce
That deserves a lot of thought. What do you guys think a prebonsai tree like this is worth? By the time I leave it will have a 4" trunk with really good nebari, and will likely be beginning to bloom. This is a tree that has been with me through multiple hurricanes and is pretty much a memento of the lake house I once had. Of course the sentiment has no monetary value but it will figure into the decision of who the new owner will be.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What do you guys think a prebonsai tree like this is worth?

Nothing as compared to the sentimental value it holds.

Keep some cuttings to bring with!

Sorce

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Oh gee, if this little stick is worth $329 what would mine be? BTW, they said this will adjust to indoor environment, it won't unless one invests in some serious lighting equipment.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Oh gee, if this little stick is worth $329 what would mine be? BTW, they said this will adjust to indoor environment, it won't unless one invests in some serious lighting equipment.
I should start selling on Etsy! I found a seed pod on the side of the road in July. 5 germinated, this one is the smallest the rest I have sitting on the ground with escape roots.

Attachments

• 51109C64-9D3A-46A6-85A6-B410A7C2708D.jpeg
    51109C64-9D3A-46A6-85A6-B410A7C2708D.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 11

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
In southwest Florida if I had your tree I would probably ask $100 for it and be glad to get 50-75.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
In southwest Florida if I had your tree I would probably ask $100 for it and be glad to get 50-75.
I will either give it to someone at the local bonsai club or to go ahead with the repot at that price.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Nothing as compared to the sentimental value it holds.

Keep some cuttings to bring with!

Sorce
Now I am confused. I either give it up so it remains in reasonable climate. Taking a cutting to PA is like starting over in a harder climate. I think I will either leave it or take it with me. I ain't gonna take a cutting and be struggling with a stick in a colder climate.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Just like all the Nigerian princes email, 99.99% of people won't fall for them but that means 1 in ten thousand people will. Just so you know tens of millions of those emails go out every day. Same thing with these ridiculous bonsai, every now and then one person will fall for it. Aside from the outrageous prices, everything is legitimate so Etsy cannot do anything about it. If you order, they will deliver the exactly tree(s) as advertised. Note that the quantity available is always 1 for these trees and they will say you will get the exact tree shown. What you see is what you get makes it very difficult for the buyer to back out.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
My idea for price was based on south Florida, it may bring more in your area.

When I first moved down here I came very close to ordering coconut palm trees for over $100 each. Then I discovered you can find them all over for $10-20. Most people that have mature ones in their yards put the coconuts out for the garbage people to pick up too, so with a little patience they’re free.

Buyer beware for sure. I just looked up prices for flame tree seeds for the fun of it. I might be able to start a new career just collecting the seed pods in my neighborhood.

Top Bottom