Big Dawn Redwood Stump

Natty Bumppo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm amazed a conifer stump would sprout like that. In my work, over the years, I cut a LOT of red cedar and exotic, invasive hardwoods as part of restorations. For hardwoods, we treat the stump with herbicide to prevent resprouting. For cedar, and conifers in general (yew's are an exception), no herbicide needed. As long as there's no living branches are left, the tree is dead.
But maybe with a higher stump and some TLC, several gymnosperms can sprout new buds from a bare stump. What besides metasequoia can bud back from a bare stump?
Leo, were those wild cypress from the Cache River in southern IL, or elsewhere?

Reaction score
This looks fantastic, I was just turned on to the Dawn Redwood and love it. It's about time for a yearly update :)

queenofsheba52

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes please for an update on this great project!

I bought a dozen small dawn seedlings a few years ago from the FaceBook site 99cent Bonsai auctions. I am just now putting them into a forest. Spring has been very slow and cold here in west Michigan so I have a little more time than usual for spring bonsai chores. I am eager to see how this big stump is doing!

Rateeluck

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are you going to repot and reduce the rootball before the next growing season?
That was the hope this past season. Life got in the way and couldn't get to it..I do really hope to work the roots this spring

Kidkidsupreme

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That’s insane. Any new shoots from the lower parts of the stump? I read that they only grow new shoots from the top.

Rateeluck

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Cajunrider I don't think the main leader will be part of the final design. Right now the leader is bringing vigor and thickening up the live vein. Will probably turn it into deadwood and keep the smaller branches. Thanks

Top Bottom