Bittersweet and Burning Bush Collection....fall or spring

Peconomou

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I spotted a very large bittersweet vine and a very large burning bush. I want them both! I live in Massachusetts. The bittersweet will probably still be there in spring but the burning bush may not. Is late fall ok to collect burning bush? What about bittersweet?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I spotted a very large bittersweet vine and a very large burning bush. I want them both! I live in Massachusetts. The bittersweet will probably still be there in spring but the burning bush may not. Is late fall ok to collect burning bush? What about bittersweet?
I'd put off collecting anything at this point. Bittersweet is pretty easy to collect, even very large plants. Problem is in winter the tree won't have a chance at rooting and will sit all winter in that situation undergoing freezes, etc.--unless you have a bright, warmer winter storage location--like a greenhouse. If it does root, it will also produce foliage, which won't survive freezing temps and will require bright light.

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Burning bush can take some abuse - they usually have a really fibrous root ball that is close to the trunk. If you can dig and keep a decent sized root ball without disturbing the bulk of the roots it I think it 'could' be fine. I'd only do it if you must dig it to keep from losing the chance. I just wouldn't bare root.

Do it in springtime and you can chop the roots down hard to fit in a training pot/box, bare root and get it in good soil. You'd be at least a year ahead in it's development.

Top Bottom