Blue Atlas Cedar seeds

papkey5

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Collected a single cone this summer and now have about 40 seeds. I have consulted Dirr and Heuser and a two month cold stratification is recommended. my questions come from relating that knowledge to my zone 4 environment. Our winters are much longer than two months. seeds are currently being stored in my fridge. Has anyone found that longer cold stratification is detrimental to germination success rates? All seeds will be sown outside.

I suppose I could experiment, have half sown now and half sown in January. Just wondering if there was any experience already learned by members of the group.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I found they all germinate roughly at the same time when stratified. Usually in two or three months in the fridge.
So I can recommend not soaking them and keeping them dry in the fridge until spring.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I've never found longer stratification to be detrimental. Stratification is just a way to overcome inhibitors and is usually listed as the shortest that achieves good results. After that the seed's germination program can kick in and that doesn't usually start until temps start to get warm enough for growth.

Having said that I've always had very low success rates with Cedrus from seed whether stratified or not.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Collected a single cone this summer and now have about 40 seeds. I have consulted Dirr and Heuser and a two month cold stratification is recommended. my questions come from relating that knowledge to my zone 4 environment. Our winters are much longer than two months. seeds are currently being stored in my fridge. Has anyone found that longer cold stratification is detrimental to germination success rates? All seeds will be sown outside.

I suppose I could experiment, have half sown now and half sown in January. Just wondering if there was any experience already learned by members of the group.
BRRRR! These grow in such arctic conditions:confused:?

Moraito

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've never found longer stratification to be detrimental. Stratification is just a way to overcome inhibitors and is usually listed as the shortest that achieves good results. After that the seed's germination program can kick in and that doesn't usually start until temps start to get warm enough for growth.

Having said that I've always had very low success rates with Cedrus from seed whether stratified or not.
I am surprised you report low success with Cedrus seeds as I have experienced the opposite results with fresh seeds from C.atlantica (like 90% seeds developing the radicle). From what I have read Cedrus seeds lose viability fast if they are let to dry as the seeds are oily inside.
I am by no means an expert but both times I have planted Cedrus Atlantica seeds I have got good germination %s. My process for them is as follow. I gather the still closed cones from the tree in late Autumn, early winter. As long as the cone remains closed it seems that the seeds remain viable (for that year, I have not tested storing them for the next year), so I keep the cones unopened in a drawer until 2 months before my desired sowing time. Two months before sowing, I open the cones (soaking them in water overnight soften the cones and then you can dissassmble the scales and get the seeds out) then cold stratify them for two months. When the seeds are moved to warm conditions after stratifying they develop the radicle in 1-2 weeks. I sow them then.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I am surprised you report low success with Cedrus seeds as I have experienced the opposite results with fresh seeds from C.atlantica (like 90% seeds developing the radicle). From what I have read Cedrus seeds lose viability fast if they are let to dry as the seeds are oily inside.
I am by no means an expert but both times I have planted Cedrus Atlantica seeds I have got good germination %s. My process for them is as follow. I gather the still closed cones from the tree in late Autumn, early winter. As long as the cone remains closed it seems that the seeds remain viable (for that year, I have not tested storing them for the next year), so I keep the cones unopened in a drawer until 2 months before my desired sowing time. Two months before sowing, I open the cones (soaking them in water overnight soften the cones and then you can dissassmble the scales and get the seeds out) then cold stratify them for two months. When the seeds are moved to warm conditions after stratifying they develop the radicle in 1-2 weeks. I sow them then.
Thanks for the tips. I will try this next winter.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Interestingly Sheffield seeds recommends no stratification, soak for 24 hours, plant 3/4” below soil, mulch. I have heard the cones have a 4 year maturation cycle so collecting too early could be a factor.

Top Bottom