Blue Atlas: Opinions, Suggestions

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a Blue Atlas Cedar I have been working on. The slant was too much when I got it.
2012-05-17 06.37.33.jpg

This year I moved it more upright, thinned the foliage to create pads and needs to let it grow into a new form.

Ideas about where to grow that foliage is welcome. The trunk is beyond bending, but the branches are moveable.

Photo Jun 13, 9 06 00 AM.jpg

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I like the more upright approach and the yellow companion plant contrasts nicely with the blue!

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I agree, much better angle. I think some deadwood is needed for interest, maybe Jin a branch at the top, or add some Shari somehow. I think there are some leanin larches that you can use for inspiration in lenzs book.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would cut off the top or jin it. Then let the branches elongate and create a nice slant style. Seems like it might be the most natural look for the tree and probably the easiest to pull off.

Like this.

Rob

Attachments

• Copy of Photo%20Jun%2013,%209%2006%2000%20AM[1].jpg
    Copy of Photo%20Jun%2013,%209%2006%2000%20AM[1].jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 55

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking at the roots it seems you could just stand that up and have the start of a nice literati.

ed

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would cut off the top or jin it. Then let the branches elongate and create a nice slant style. Seems like it might be the most natural look for the tree and probably the easiest to pull off.

Like this.

Rob

From the moment I bought it, I knew it was too long/tall. The three paradox of bonsai...

1. Artificially making it look natural.
2. Making it look taller by making it shorter.
3. Making it look wider by making it more narrow.

So with your virt and what I kinda already knew I had to do...
Photo Jun 14, 10 25 26 AM.jpg

There are still a couple of branches to eliminate, but I'm gonna stop cutting for now. I also know I need to let the branches on the bottom grow out to the left and occupy some visual space there. This position covers up the grafting scar pretty well, which is bonus.

Sometimes the extra nudge from others who see the same thing is empowering to make some of the big cuts!! Thanks

Last edited:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I really like where this one is heading.

Whenever I see cedars at Bonsai nurseries and other nurseries. They all have the same structure. A literati trunk with informal upright, widely spaced branches. They are also too tall. Almost all of them look like landscape trees. The problem is that to make them a good bonsai (Height to trunk thickness, tapered branches etc.) You would have to chop down to a single or 2 branches. This species cannot take such heavy work, so for the most part, it's not worth it. You will notice that almost (key word, almost) all cedars that are nice bonsai, usually started with good height to thickness ratios.

You are lucky to have found one that by just removing the top, you have a good start.:D

Rob

Top Bottom