Blue Point Juniper Timing

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I purchased a cheap blue point juniper on sale after the holidays. My understanding is they aren’t necessarily the best for bonsai but can be good for practicing pruning and wiring which is my goal. That being said I don’t want to kill the tree. I’m guessing that winter is a terrible time to style/wire. Is that correct? Or if I protect it from the harsher winter elements by keeping it in my garage or shed on the coldest days/nights could I work on it now?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have yet to figure out juniper growth, still, my Blue point juniper remains one of the most obedient trees I have.

If over protecting anything is a waste of time, which it absolutely is, overprotecting something "cheap", is a foolish waste of time.

Do it.

Sorce

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Its a columnar cultivar so very apical dominant, but I dont think its a waste of time, also I think you can basic style and wiring now I dont see a big problem if the tree its protected, and repot it in spring

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Its a columnar cultivar so very apical dominant, but I dont think its a waste of time, also I think you can basic style and wiring now I dont see a big problem if the tree its protected, and repot it in spring
Great. Thanks for the input!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Juniper is fine to wire in fall and winter, just be careful with thicker branches. I wire in fall on my junipers and remove wire after first flush in spring... rewire in fall again.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I purchased a cheap blue point juniper on sale after the holidays. My understanding is they aren’t necessarily the best for bonsai but can be good for practicing pruning and wiring which is my goal. That being said I don’t want to kill the tree. I’m guessing that winter is a terrible time to style/wire. Is that correct? Or if I protect it from the harsher winter elements by keeping it in my garage or shed on the coldest days/nights could I work on it now?

I've kept junipers in my garage, usually when I want to have them available to ship late/early. The biggest thing is to make sure they don't dry out completely (but don't keep too wet either!). Sorce would think I'm nuts but I do put weakened or heavily worked junipers (and others) into my root cellar.

2021-11-27 13.27.52.jpg

Top Bottom