blue spruce pruning suggestion

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Got this spruce last Spring, still cannot decide how to improve it.

Would appreciate any suggestion how to prune/design it to make it look more bonsai like. (Assume the grafting issue is not there:))

Pic1 is the front I pick. Pic2 is the detail of the main branching structure. I am thinking about cutting off the back branch, is that okay?

Attachments

• 20230107_161043.jpg
    20230107_161043.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 20230107_161102.jpg
    20230107_161102.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 80

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Well, obviously you’re limited to what you’ve got, ie no formal upright etc, but what i‘d do in your shoes is look up spruce, cedar, hemlock or similar bonsai and see what you like and if there’s anything that could translate to this. I think if you just go hacking or following other peoples design advice you’re less likely to find the tree you want. Certain species, spruce included, need a bit more planning because it takes longer to grow back options later.

I can see a few options from the pictures you’ve shown, but its difficult to suggest proper ideas without getting a feel for it in person. I do like the look of a utilisation of the lean that is there already and getting rid of the left hand branch, but don’t forget about potential planting angle changes and different fronts as well.

Top Bottom