Bonsai at work…

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh, yeah... I “made” him do it !!!

Folks, Dave looked at it on Friday night. Even got permission from his wife to buy it! He didn’t pull the trigger.

But Saturday morning, he wakes me up first thing asking me to tell Jonas to set it aside for him!

So, what did I do? I did what everybody would do! I called Jonas and told him I wanted to buy it! (That way I could resell it to Dave for more!!!)

Nah, I didn’t.

But, the buying fever has set in! Dave bought two more similiar, but not as nice (yet) Shohin JBP at the BIB auction!!!

So, did that satisfy his bonsai cravings? No!

I took him to Boon’s garden where he bought a Shohin Olive!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Oh, yeah... I “made” him do it !!!

Folks, Dave looked at it on Friday night. Even got permission from his wife to buy it! He didn’t pull the trigger.

But Saturday morning, he wakes me up first thing asking me to tell Jonas to set it aside for him!

So, what did I do? I did what everybody would do! I called Jonas and told him I wanted to buy it! (That way I could resell it to Dave for more!!!)

Nah, I didn’t.

But, the buying fever has set in! Dave bought two more similiar, but not as nice (yet) Shohin JBP at the BIB auction!!!

So, did that satisfy his bonsai cravings? No!

I took him to Boon’s garden where he bought a Shohin Olive!
I was like a kid in a candy store... it was a GOOD weekend!!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I didn’t bring enough tea bags with me… Was able to fill about 80 before running out. Will need to fill about 100 more tomorrow.
View attachment 177210
Slow day, huh? If I had known that, I would have called you out on a Farm Call! I had to castrate my kid myself! Actually, I just held him upside down. I let my wife apply the constriction ring!

We’re talking about GOATS here, people! Geez!!!

(However... the fact that my wife knows how to do this is never far from my mind...)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Slow day, huh? If I had known that, I would have called you out on a Farm Call! I had to castrate my kid myself! Actually, I just held him upside down. I let my wife apply the constriction ring!

We’re talking about GOATS here, people! Geez!!!

(However... the fact that my wife knows how to do this is never far from my mind...)
Slow day??? Well, actually, it IS a slow day... but it only took me a few minutes to fill the 80 T-bags. I'm a wiz at it:cool:.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I always enjoy seeing this thread pop up with new posts... Nice pine, now we need to see the others. :p

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They're still in Cali, but there's a chance they might make it out this way in March... stay tuned?
They better, or else I’ll have to start charging you a bench fee!

The trees at the end of my bench? They were Boon’s. With the addition of your trees, I had to evict Boon. (Maybe I should have charged him a bench fee?)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They better, or else I’ll have to start charging you a bench fee!

The trees at the end of my bench? They were Boon’s. With the addition of your trees, I had to evict Boon. (Maybe I should have charged him a bench fee?)
Adair, why do you think my fingers are crossed??:eek:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is the Japanese Blackpine I acquired from Adair last year. It was wired out in December, and I just repotted it… I needed a shoehorn to get it into this one. Hopefully, the next pot will be a nicer and even smaller one :). It’s here to get a little more tweaking to the wire.

C5290B97-85E6-4DD8-B4CF-A2B79992E47A.jpeg

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It’s that time of year again. I brought in a Kashima Japanese maple and my Japanese apricot to do some light pruning and wiring. I decided to leave the maple alone for now and just let it grow. The apricot got Pruned and wire was placed on some of the branching… There’s lots of sacrifice branching going on right now that will be cut away eventually.
F01E33D4-F5D8-4D6F-829C-2AF97D9DF8C5.jpeg4DAD95E5-9DAE-440D-8629-7FD0ADEDE1C0.jpeg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It’s that time of year again. I brought in a Kashima Japanese maple and my Japanese apricot to do some light pruning and wiring. I decided to leave the maple alone for now and just let it grow. The apricot got Pruned and wire was placed on some of the branching… There’s lots of sacrifice branching going on right now that will be cut away eventually.
View attachment 186024View attachment 186025
Did you remove the first two leaves on every branch of the apricot?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Reasoning? Curious :)

Grimmy
Ok... so at the base of each leaf, there is a bud. A bud that can produce vegistative growth and flowers. To get flowers, you have to leave the leaf on all summer. But, if it flowers, it may or may not create a vegetative bud. By removing the leaf, the bud will develop into a vegetative bud.

The general plan is to let the new shoots grow until early to mid May, then cut the new shoots in half. Remove the two lowest leaves. Wire with aluminum. Be careful when bending because the shoots are easily snapped. But there’s no better time. Pay particular attention to the wiring at the base of the shoots. That part sets forever. The part beyond the two or three lowest leaves will eventually get cut off, but by putting in some curves, it will look better when in bloom next winter.

After a couple months, remove the wire.

During the summer, the leaves should begin to curl inward from the sides. This means they’re building flower buds. And they droop. If they stay nice and pretty and flat, that means they’re not going to produce flowers!

In the fall, when most Maples are looking good, the Ume start dropping their leaves. You can go ahead and help them out! At the base of each branch, make a circle with the forefinger and thumb, and light pull out. The leaves should detach easily. Those that hang on, cut off with scissors.

Once naked, you can lightly prune the branches to have a pretty shape when they bloom.

After they bloom, cut off every stem, back to where the two leaves were that you cut off. You will get a new shoot from each one. Your ramification will double each year, and you get to enjoy the blooms!

Of course, the other 50 weeks of the year, it looks like scat. But those 2 weeks? Wow!

Top Bottom