Bonsai chrysanthemums and cascade sources

kekoa

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
In the US, you can shop from a wide variety of "cascade" mums online from Kings, but you'll have to wait until next year since they have long sold out of their 2022 stock (by the way, you'll have to be quick next year if you buy from them). Alternatively, it's early June and we're it's still the season when you might get lucky and buy some from whichever national chapter may be hosting a plant sale in your region, which are often around this time of year depending on your zone. Alternatively, you might find luck with rooted seedlings on the NCS facebook page, but that's just a guess! It's likely too late in this growing season for you to train a cascade that would look anything like the one in your photo, but if you're lucky you can get seedlings are grow them for rooted cuttings from stolons for next year's growing season. I'm probably missing something so let me know if you find another reliable vendor! Not cascades, but @Pitoon sold some really nice Nippon Daisies earlier this year and mentioned that they will probably be selling Gnome varieties (for training in other bonsai styles) here later this summer when they're ready if you want to

waydeo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Kekoa for the info. After seeing some pictures I wanted a challenge to try.
Wayde

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

waydeo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the welcome ! I've been out of the crazy for a while and now Bonsai nut has sucked me back in . Lol.

kekoa

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Yeah, those chrysanthemums will never have a long life like the Nippon daisies. While i've not been successful, people say they can last years.... but it's likely zone and care dependent. The cascades that OP posted are kengaizukuri style and are trained for a waterfall carpet of thick, smallish blooms that should open at the same moment.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Pitoon thoughts on this? Figured you may have decent input!
Nippon's can live for decades.

Chrysanthemums depends on your location. The colder the environment the more protection you have to provide. If you don't want them to die back you have to give them protection. If you don't they die back in the winter and send up new shoots in the spring. If the winter is too cold the roots can die all together. They can easily live 10+ years, but it's a commitment to keep them going. I have some seedlings growing that I cross bred I'm curious to see what kind of flowers they will have.

Besides the five dwarf cultivars I grow, I will have another nine cultivars to offer later this summer.

How's the Nippon I sent you doing?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nippon's can live for decades.

Chrysanthemums depends on your location. The colder the environment the more protection you have to provide. If you don't want them to die back you have to give them protection. If you don't they die back in the winter and send up new shoots in the spring. If the winter is too cold the roots can die all together. They can easily live 10+ years, but it's a commitment to keep them going. I have some seedlings growing that I cross bred I'm curious to see what kind of flowers they will have.

Besides the five dwarf cultivars I grow, I will have another nine cultivars to offer later this summer.

How's the Nippon I sent you doing?
I kept it inside all winter in a south facing window. I put it out about a month ago and it has very plump shoots that want to extend so bad, but just aren’t. I’ll send you some pics.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@kekoa - is correct, about the only on line source of mums in the USA is Kings, the link to their home page is

Mums, as a plant family are very dependent on day length to govern growth. More than 12 hours of light for vegetative growth, decreasing day length for bloom induction. Less than 12 hours for dormancy. Daylength is the reason their dates of bloom can be predicted so accurately.

Artificial light can force mums into one or another phase of growth. Just a few hours of artificial light in the "night" can interrupt blooming cycle. A bit like poinsettias.

waydeo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I remember seeing cascade chrysanthemums in the 80's in (I think it was in Brooklyn botanical gardens bonsai pamphlets ). I thought one day I'll have to try making some ,even if they dont last a long time.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I remember seeing cascade chrysanthemums in the 80's in (I think it was in Brooklyn botanical gardens bonsai pamphlets ). I thought one day I'll have to try making some ,even if they dont last a long time.
I'm going to attempt growing each cultivar of the dwarfs out as bonsai this year.

If you are dedicated to them they will last. Wiring has to be done early and basically on a weekly basis. Good to see interest on the dwarf mums.

You should check out The Art of the Chrysanthemum if you don't already have a copy. This is considered the bible for growing them. I noticed you signed up to my newsletter........I will send a notice out when my stock is ready.

kekoa

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
@Pitoon how do i sign up for the newsletter (posting here instead of DM in case others have the same question)? I’m definitely looking for gnomes when they’re ready.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Pitoon how do i sign up for the newsletter (posting here instead of DM in case others have the same question)? I’m definitely looking for gnomes when they’re ready.
The contact page on my website.

waydeo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I noticed that book was younger than I am .lol . I'll try and find a copy .I ordered "Growing Chrysanthemums by Wren" on ebay to start my quest for more knowledge.
Thanks for everyone's info .

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I noticed that book was younger than I am .lol . I'll try and find a copy .I ordered "Growing Chrysanthemums by Wren" on ebay to start my quest for more knowledge.
Thanks for everyone's info .
The book I mentioned is specific to the dwarfs. I'm not familiar with the book you mentioned, I'll check that one out.

The link I added was directly to Amazon.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I kept it inside all winter in a south facing window. I put it out about a month ago and it has very plump shoots that want to extend so bad, but just aren’t. I’ll send you some pics.
I kept my Nippon's from @Pitoon in an unheated garage all winter and my climate is much colder than yours, they did fine.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Gnomes is the "official class name" for the dwarfs with long lived woody stems, as there are also classes of dwarfs without woody stems. For most, to keep the woody stems through the winter, they need to be kept nearly frost free. I know they're root hardy to zone 7 or so, but the woody trunks need to be kept above freezing, or if they do get a freeze, they should be relatively dry,. Dry and cold is near impossible especially since the roots need to be at least lightly moist. So best to keep above freezing. Key is winter should be cool, and should have less than 10 hours of sun. No lights to interrupt the 14 hour dark period. Length of darkness can be longer, not shorter. This will keep them dormant.

When you want growth, increase day length. Bloom induction begins with shortening day length in autumn.

Top Bottom