Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not so serene, especially with a title like "Desperate Situation" :eek:

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is an unusual scroll. I rather like it for the story but could never include it in a bonsai display.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For what it's worth, this image is traditional Chinese/Japanese--it is a metaphor--which roughly translates into our "caught between a rock and a hard place" :D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
For the record, alligators are native to China as well as the U.S. and the saltwater corodile is native to Southeast Asia, so it is not too surprisening to see one painted on a scroll. I like this one that expresses being between a rock and a hard place in such a inventive way.

Will

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
for the record, I said "in Japanese art."

The crocodile and alligator used so literally in this scroll is usually depicted as a dragon in other similar compositions--both Japanese and Chinese. The dragon is the metaphorical opposite of the tiger in Japan. For every ryu (dragon) there is a tora (tiger) in opposition. Man is forever caught between the two.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry Rockm, I was responding to your humorous suggestion that the scene depicted must have occurred in Louisiana while digging Bald Cypress, where, as far as I know, tigers do not roam. So, I posted the fact that gators and crocs are native to Asia, hence the scene accurately depicts species native to Asia.

I like the scroll, too bad it is in such poor condition.

Will

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you notice that not only is he trapped above and below by the tiger and gator...but he also has some sort of flying insect pests buzzing about him while he dangles from the vine? This guy just can't get a break!

Reaction score
This reminds me of the Zen parable in which a monk was surprised by a tiger, ran toward a cliff and slid down some vines to escape. Unfortunately there was another tiger at the bottom of the cliff. Then the monk noticed some mice chewing through the vines from which he was suspended (see the mouse in the scroll?). It was at this point that he noticed a ripe, plump wild strawberry growing out the rock. He plucked the stawberry and popped it into his mouth ... and it was the best strawberry he ever had.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think those insects might be bees....maybe the scroll should be titled life on the bonsai forums? ;)

Will

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This scroll has significant meaning for me. The Croc reminds me of my ex-wife and the bees her attorneys...nothing needs to be said about the poor chap on the vine

Top Bottom