Bonsai from gene manipulation?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Better bonsai through science?

Apple trees with pea sized fruit? Pine trees with 1/16 inch needles? Dogwoods with dime sized flowers?

"Presumably, additional genes will be found that regulate steroid-induced growth in other parts of the plant, such as leaves and petals," she added. "By tinkering with the entire set, it should eventually be possible to influence every aspect of plant growth and appearance."

This is a good article for thought.

Will

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This is an interesting concept and in today's technology not entirely out of reach. I saw a report where someone has been able to gene splice some spider DNA into a goat making the goat able to produce spider silk. Don't ask me for details I don't have them but the story is out there. On a side issue let us all hope this does not develop into accidentally creating some sort of supper bug that we can not stop. Ventures outside the normal realm of events can cause abnormal and possibly dangerous results. I am reminded of a line from Jurassic Park where the comment was made: You have built upon the work of genius and only asked how do we do this thing and not whether we should do it at all.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Interesting article Will, thanks for sharing. However the article statement "Or instant bonsai" made me sputter a bit.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting article, but I'm a little puzzled. Gene selection for dwarf traits has been going on for centuries. All those dwarf cultivars of maples, evergreens, etc. have already been selected and used Dwarf plants are not really that useful for bonsai anyway. They grow too slowly to make them useful.

Would this gene allow you to spray some kind of solution on a plant and stop its growth or something?

Top Bottom