Bonsai newbie needs advice-Serissa foetida

LeeInBama

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello from Pelham, Alabama! My name is Lee and I’m excited about having a new bonsai to hopefully shape into a tree I can be proud of. As the thread title indicates, I have a Serissa foetida and I would greatly appreciate some advice about when to prune and wire my tree. Also, what types of fertilizers do you guys use to get the best results? Thanks I’m advance for any help you provide!

Attachments

• FF29C86B-F038-48B4-90CE-A9975B596A49.jpeg
    FF29C86B-F038-48B4-90CE-A9975B596A49.jpeg
    277.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 404968BE-AA78-4D53-8840-883C44DDDEF6.jpeg
    404968BE-AA78-4D53-8840-883C44DDDEF6.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 68

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello from Pelham, Alabama! My name is Lee and I’m excited about having a new bonsai to hopefully shape into a tree I can be proud of. As the thread title indicates, I have a Serissa foetida and I would greatly appreciate some advice about when to prune and wire my tree. Also, what types of fertilizers do you guys use to get the best results? Thanks I’m advance for any help you provide!
I've killed 2 serissa, not good for beginners they're pretty fussy trees

LeeInBama

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m dedicated. I’m disabled and need a valid media to open some new avenues in my life. This seems perfect. Nature does the real work, I’m just hoping to guide it into something beautiful.
I have read that these are fussy and was fully expecting it to drop all of its leaves when I brought it home. It might still, but so far it’s doing way better than I expected. For that reason I’m hopeful. I’m also ready to be a sponge and soak up all of the good information that I can.
Thanks very much for the reply.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’m dedicated. I’m disabled and need a valid media to open some new avenues in my life. This seems perfect. Nature does the real work, I’m just hoping to guide it into something beautiful.
I have read that these are fussy and was fully expecting it to drop all of its leaves when I brought it home. It might still, but so far it’s doing way better than I expected. For that reason I’m hopeful. I’m also ready to be a sponge and soak up all of the good information that I can.
Thanks very much for the reply.
Exactly why I got into bonsai minus the disabled part. I will your journey is fruitful.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a Serissa foetida and I would greatly appreciate some advice about when to prune and wire my tree. Also, what types of fertilizers do you guys use to get the best results?
I've had pretty good luck w/mine in Ohio. I prune mine often when outside and usually once in the winter indoors. Wire early as the branched are very brittle and hard. Wire when they look too young to wire. I've resigned to clip and grow mine. I just use Mirical Grow. Loves water and roots grow fast in DE/Lava. Also cuttings root easily. I'm using one for our Mame Contest.

LeeInBama

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had pretty good luck w/mine in Ohio. I prune mine often when outside and usually once in the winter indoors. Wire early as the branched are very brittle and hard. Wire when they look too young to wire. I've resigned to clip and grow mine. I just use Mirical Grow. Loves water and roots grow fast in DE/Lava. Also cuttings root easily. I'm using one for our Mame Contest.
Thank you! Very good information. I really want to wire it now, but I’m not sure if I should give it more acclimating time. I’m just very excited to get my vision going. I can use all of the advise I can get. Great game between Ohio and Miami(OH) last night.

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hey, Lee. Serissas do well for me even outdoors in winter. I'm pretty close to you, just off I-459, and I bring mine in only when it gets below freezing for more than a few hours. Sun, water, and clipping is all they need around here. Don't starve your new one, but hold off heavy feeding until your serissa is outdoors and the weather is warmer than it is now.
RTR

LeeInBama

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you, sir. I haven’t done much of anything yet with the exception of trimming yellowing leaves and old, brown flower pods. As far as feeding, I ordered some liquid winter fertilizer 0-10-10. I hope it does it’s job.
RTR!!

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lee looks like a Serissa s. [ Chinese - correct ? ]
zone 7 outdoors in China.
Usually you drop down a zone in a bonsai pot - zone 8
Apologies, I am in the Tropics, nothing more to offer.
Good Day
Anthony

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
. I really want to wire it now, but I’m not sure if I should give it more acclimating time.
No harm in wiring this anytime of year. Only if it has just been repotted should you wait for the roots to establish. Mine stay outside until it gets in the forties.

Best advice I've gotten when starting was to get more trees so you don't love this one to death. Looking out your window I see prime Bonsai space, a privacy fence and future Niwaki:)

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
As you wrote, Serissa is a little fussy. This means 3 things for you: 1) Find out what specific things make it happy in your climate (Sun, water, fertilizer, temperature, etc, 2) Do those exact things, and 3) Don’t change anything, or change as little as possible. For example, if it gets too cold outside one night, consider putting it in your unheated garage instead of in your heated house at night to minimize the temperature fluctuations.

As others have mentioned, you also might consider buying a few more trees so that you can practice more and learn more. I’d suggest that you get some from your local Home Depot or nursery because they will be cheaper, and you may find it very rewarding to turn a “regular” tree into a bonsai over time. You’ll probably want to look for trees that are hardy (more forgiving when you make mistakes) and fast-growing (so you can see results faster). Other people can recommend more trees that would do well in Alabama, but some good possibilities may include Chinese Elm, pomegranate, olive, bougainvillea, and any kind of juniper. Boxwoods are great, cheap, easy to find, and are hardy, though they tend to grow a little more slowly.

Miracle Grow is a great fertilizer for you, just don’t fertilize during the winter,

Welcome to the site, and I hope you find as much pleasure in bonsai as we do.

LeeInBama

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No harm in wiring this anytime of year. Only if it has just been repotted should you wait for the roots to establish. Mine stay outside until it gets in the forties.

Best advice I've gotten when starting was to get more trees so you don't love this one to death. Looking out your window I see prime Bonsai space, a privacy fence and future Niwaki:)
That sound awesome! Thanks

LeeInBama

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Excellent advice Shinjuku! Thank you very much. I’ve only been on this site for a day and already have gotten some excellent advice. Thanks to everyone for your awesome response! Great site!!??

LeeInBama

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lee looks like a Serissa s. [ Chinese - correct ? ]
zone 7 outdoors in China.
Usually you drop down a zone in a bonsai pot - zone 8
Apologies, I am in the Tropics, nothing more to offer.
Good Day
Anthony
Yes, sir I believe; and you are right about my zone as well. Thank you for your help and the referral.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@LeeInBama
Serissa are great. Most people find them no problem at all. Their fussy reputation comes from the fact that some people, even very experienced people have trouble growing Serissa, and yet, some beginners, with absolutely no experience at all do absolutely great with Serissa. In other words, most people can grow serissa with no problems, yet there is a small group of us who think they should be able to do well with serissa and no matter what, every damn serissa I bring into my house dies. Often quick, sometimes a slow, lingering death that takes months. (mostly joking, this is meant to be light hearted).

I've been around a while, and have lost many a Serissa over the years. Probably because I consider it a ''beginner or easy tree'' and don't pay much attention to them. Then they get forgotten at some crucial point. Or when they get put under lights for winter they don't get a ''prime spot'' in the center of the lights, they get shoved off to the side, the ''cheap seats'' while my more favored trees get the good spots.

You should have no trouble at all. And @Underdog gave you great advice. Get more trees. You need at least 20 pre bonsai trees so that you have something to do every week but have enough trees that you can leave one alone long enough for it to grow after what ever you did. Young pre-bonsai trees might only need to be worked on once or twice a year. Having multiple trees allows you to have more things to work on. Older, more mature trees in terms of becoming well developed bonsai require a lot more work. But fully trained trees can be quite expensive, until you are confident in your horticultural skills, it is best to ''grow your own'' and start with young pre-bonsai. So buy more trees. You have the right number of trees when either you physically could not squeeze another one into your growing area, or you are always behind on getting all the ''bonsai work'' done. I'm always behind on wiring and repotting, so I guess I have the right number of trees, about 100 or so pre-bonsai (various sticks in pots) and about 7 that are getting close to being ready to exhibit. I have 3 that I exhibit fairly often in our local club shows. The rest are not quite ready for prime time.

So buy yourself another one, you will be glad you did.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm pretty @Leo in N E Illinois was one of the suggests to get more trees>) I'm up to 30 or so. Good fun and learning material is on sale now at you favorite Lowes/HDepot at huge discount and will be Alabama friendly.
Watching Bama roll over Miss now.
As a side note always read and heed Leo's solid advice.

Top Bottom