Bonsai oval pots

Tinyjames

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've just dropped a unglazed oval pot and I’m gutted I bought the pot sum 12 years ago, But now looking at replacing the pot it’s going to cost me south of £90.00 to much for me at the moment.

So looking on youtube and found a chap making one from concrete and adding banana stem chopped up and soaked in water for seven day’s but living in the uk we don’t have many to none banana trunks/stem to chop up to draw out the chemicals with in the concrete also as he lived in a country where freezing isn’t a issue how would I duplicate his prosses and make it freezer proof.

But on the other hand I’m thinking of making a wooded pot/tray would you laminate the wood or cut it from one piece of wood I have some beech and some elm kicking around the garage if it’s laminated I also have Oak I could use ?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think you would have to coat the wood with something unless you only plan on using it for a year or 2 at most. People build training/growout pots all the time but they are not meant for long term

Tinyjames

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I could seal it with a oil even a good wax and burn the inside.

Burning the inside will protect it (Japanese have being doing this to wood like forever) I don't remember the name of this procedure

JJ6465

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Burning the inside will protect it (Japanese have being doing this to wood like forever) I don't remember the name of this procedure
I bought a cool wood bowl for $5.50, going to stain it and try it out. I didn’t know about burning it, I may read up on that and try it. Thanks for the info.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

The process you are referring to is known as yakisugi in Japan. Interestingly enough, it doesn’t offer the level of protection on other types of wood like it does on Japanese cedar. There’s something in Japanese cedar that reacts with the heat to form a protective coating that can last for centuries.
IMG_0655.gif

Top Bottom