Bonsai Pots - Explain

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think that article is only the tip of the iceberg on that site. I don't think he was directing you specifically to Kimiko. Look to the right on the page for additional posts on pots...
I looked at a bunch of the pots and promptly exited the page. I don’t need to even be tempted at this point. Let’s first see if I can actually grow a tree.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I don't think the few teaspoons of water "stuck" in the bottom of the pot is of any concern. There will be roots there to suck up any excess water. Too much water, too often or the wrong mix is the grower's fault and is more likely than a minor fault in pot design.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Pots don't have to be overly expensive. For example this rectangle is roughly 16 inches in length, it is a "production grade" pot from Japan, no signature, but it is well made, and fired high enough that it is reasonably frost and freeze proof. It was only $75. This is quite reasonable for a large, winter proof pot that can be used for conifers. Kilns large enough to fire 16 inch and larger pots are uncommon, hence larger pots tend to be more expensive.
14590250_1288078311244687_2732258948977188944_n (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

This second example is a very well made signed piece by the USA potter, Lynn August. It is a 6 inch round, frost resistant, burnished finish, not glazed. I picked it up at auction some years back for only $45, which is about right for a USA made pot.

Lynn August - inv no 1715 - 1-625 x 6 round 65usd - Dec31-2015i (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

Both pots are "good enough" quality that they certainly can be used in local shows. The large rectangle for a conifer might be switched out if the tree in it was accepted for the National Show in Rochester NY, you would want a higher quality pot if the tree got accepted to that show. The Lynn August pot is high enough quality that her pots in this style have already appeared at the National Show in Rochester.

So the point is, some $45 pots are Exhibition quality. You don't have to spend huge money to have nice pots. Shop around, you can find very useful pots at modest prices.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's another resource--Matt Ouwinga's ebay site. Matt has been importing and selling high end pots from Japan for some time. His site, however, also has reasonably priced, extremely good medium level pots. It's worth looking through to get an idea of what is out there and some of the pricing.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks to all. These were the answers I was looking for. I will definitely check out the articles BVF cited.

I look forward to the day I have a tree that warrants a nicer pot. When the day comes, I will splurge. I will, however, need a scientific explanation for the wife as to why this is non-negotiable.

I just learned about this rule as well. Insane. Still, I'd probably get one if the pocket allowed.
Ok, this is another example of overthinking things. There's an easy way to build your collection of trees and pots, and there's a hard way. Your way is the hard way. My way is to have enough trees and pots so that any new additions just blend in. I also pay all the bills and make sure I don't leave any credit card or bank statements on the kitchen counter... plausible deniability :cool: .

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@dbonsaiw .....

So the wife wears dresses made from potato sacks accented by some DIY Ho Chi Minh sandals?;):):):):):):)

Why can't you have nice things? Current climate here indicates your somehow a douche if you have foldin' money.

When it comes to pots, you can tell the difference to hand between quality and something much less so.

But ya, get some trees going first. :cool:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nah, you don't need trees 😁 Collecting bonsai pots is a hobby all by itself. I have never waited to buy a pot (if one catches my eye) if I can afford it and it's available. I don't really wait until a particular tree needs a pot.

The thing about pots is they don't die--unless you step on it, drop it or bang something into it. If chosen carefully, pots actually increase in value-but buying pots as an investment is kind of silly. buy what you like and leave the rest to time.

As said, good pots don't have to cost a fortune. If you have a local, or regional, bonsai club, watch for their auctions. Club auctions can turn up incredible values...I sold a lot of pots at auction, including some custom-made Horst Heinzlereiter, Ron Lang and Nick Lenz stuff. Those went for mostly reasonable prices.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
“You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.” - Morpheus

This is where 2 decades plus of collecting pots might get you. I'll readily admit my introduction to bourbon right after moving to GA may have greased to tracks to purchase a fair number of the high end pots on display- try it, you'll like it! :D
... and these are just the empty pots...
IMG_6731.jpgIMG_6733.jpgIMG_6734.jpgIMG_6736.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My bonsai pot addiction isn't all that tidy. Here are a few of the pots, others tucked away in storage rooms, other areas in the backyard, etc.

Attachments

• wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1996.jpg
    IMG_1996.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 37
  • outside.jpg
    outside.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 36

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
“You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.” - Morpheus

This is where 2 decades plus of collecting pots might get you. I'll readily admit my introduction to bourbon right after moving to GA may have greased to tracks to purchase a fair number of the high end pots on display- try it, you'll like it! :D
... and these are just the empty pots...
View attachment 426444View attachment 426445View attachment 426446View attachment 426447
First two pics of the shelves displaying your pots are superb!

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quality bonsai pots are fired to high temps. Lower fired pots are porous and suck moisture out of the potting soil. Also absorb water an crack or shatter in cold weather.
Bonsai pots have feet to elevate the base of the pot above the bench for added drainage and stop roots blocking drain holes.
Glaze and finish can vary in quality from one pottery to another and from one pot to the next. Hard to eliminate all flaws when firing so check each pot individually if possible.

Some of the price of pots is quality, some is just name like in artwork.

Is there any way to know this when checking out a pot? Or only "trial by fire" ?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is there any way to know this when checking out a pot? Or only "trial by fire" ?
You can generally tell by weight and feel of the clay. Terra cotta and lower fired clays tend to feel chalky. This is where "name" can go a long way. Most, if not all, of recognizable bonsai potters understand the use of high firing or hardening. Buy cheap Chinese and/or unknown and you can get into issues unless you know what you're looking at.

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lick it. The lick test won't fail!

Sorce

If I feel it sticking is bad?

You can generally tell by weight and feel of the clay. Terra cotta and lower fired clays tend to feel chalky. This is where "name" can go a long way. Most, if not all, of recognizable bonsai potters understand the use of high firing or hardening. Buy cheap Chinese and/or unknown and you can get into issues unless you know what you're looking at.

So if it feels like pumice is bad?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I feel it sticking is bad?

So if it feels like pumice is bad?
No, generally, if it feels like pumice it could be a number of things. Good Japanese high fired pots have a rougher texture, like shark skin...I'm no potter, but I have heard that kind of clay has more "tooth" --grog in the clay. Grog is already fired clay that's been ground up to add to unfired clay to give it texture when it is fired.

Top Bottom