Bonsai repotted in bad soil

• Thread starter Deleted member 53211
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 53211

Hi guys,

I have a few bonsais that were repotted recently, like 1 month ago. I repotted them using some inorganic part and some organic part, but i found out the organic part was not a good substrate because it is full ot dust.
I have two questions. Is it too bad to have much dust in the substrate? And should i repot the trees i repotted using this mix even though they were just recently repotted or should i leave them and repot in the next year?

Are you getting good drainage when you water? If so, I would think it's ok to leave it undisturbed until next year.
Yes, it still drains very well

Hi guys,

I have a few bonsais that were repotted recently, like 1 month ago. I repotted them using some inorganic part and some organic part, but i found out the organic part was not a good substrate because it is full ot dust.
I have two questions. Is it too bad to have much dust in the substrate? And should i repot the trees i repotted using this mix even though they were just recently repotted or should i leave them and repot in the next year?
What do you mean by dust? What kind of bonsais are you inquiring about conifer, deciduous, tropical, or all of the above? Repotting twice in the same year is asking for trouble you don't need, especially if major root work was done. Put your location/USDA zone in your Profile so people have an idea of your climate. Close up pictures are also a big help. Welcome to Bnut! :)

What do you mean by dust? What kind of bonsais are you inquiring about conifer, deciduous, tropical, or all of the above? Repotting twice in the same year is asking for trouble you don't need, especially if major root work was done. Put your location/USDA zone in your Profile so people have an idea of your climate. Close up pictures are also a big help. Welcome to Bnut! :)
By dust i mean very tiny particles that were crushed and left there. Im talking about both conifers and deciduous and I am from south brazil.
Anyways i just want to make a general question about whether it is preferable to repot a bonsai potted in a bad soil after such a short time or just leave it there and repot it correctly next time.
Thanks for the welcome :)

A soil is only bad when it hurts the plant, and no soil hurts plants. Tiny particles will sink to the bottom of the pot but they're not automatically bad.
When the soil in the pot breaks down, it also produces dust.

Just water accordingly and your plants will be fine.

By dust i mean very tiny particles that were crushed and left there. Im talking about both conifers and deciduous and I am from south brazil.
Anyways i just want to make a general question about whether it is preferable to repot a bonsai potted in a bad soil after such a short time or just leave it there and repot it correctly next time.
Thanks for the welcome :)

No it is not preferable to repot so quickly and it could kill the tree

Wouldn't worry about it. If the soil drains, it's OK. Just keep an eye on the drainage to make sure it continues.

Thanks for all the answears! I saw in a few videos that excessive dust in the substrate should be filtered out, otherwise not use it at all, but apparently its not that bad because so far it is draining pretty well.

Thanks for all the answears! I saw in a few videos that excessive dust in the substrate should be filtered out, otherwise not use it at all, but apparently its not that bad because so far it is draining pretty well.
Fine particles in bonsai pots is not ideal. Short term probably not a problem but may gradually cause issues with water in the pots. Most soil can be OK provided you manage watering to suit.
I think the trees should be OK for a year. Repotting again after a month is not a good idea.

I’m not sure how anyone is supposed to give you useful advice. You’ve not stated what soil components you used. For all we know, the dust could be the crushed bones of Chuck Norris’s fallen enemies. Seriously, what were the specific things that you used?

I’m not sure how anyone is supposed to give you useful advice. You’ve not stated what soil components you used. For all we know, the dust could be the crushed bones of Chuck Norris’s fallen enemies. Seriously, what were the specific things that you used?
Sorry your brain is so damaged you can not picture anything, so i will treat you like a 5 year old kid. Imagine you are preaparing a soil, for example pinus bark but you crush it so much that part of it becomes dust and stays there. Thats literally what it is about. Theres no such thing as chuck norris crushed enemy, also, only a kid would make such a bad joke.
Again, i am very sorry you are that stupid. I understand some people are not born with much intelligence, and apparently you are one of them. But dont worry, society will try to treat you well enough for you to not suffer much consequence of it.

Sorry your brain is so damaged you can not picture anything, so i will treat you like a 5 year old kid. Imagine you are preaparing a soil, for example pinus bark but you crush it so much that part of it becomes dust and stays there. Thats literally what it is about. Theres no such thing as chuck norris crushed enemy, also, only a kid would make such a bad joke.
Again, i am very sorry you are that stupid. I understand some people are not born with much intelligence, and apparently you are one of them. But dont worry, society will try to treat you well enough for you to not suffer much consequence of it.
“some inorganic part and some organic part” does not tell anyone anything about your soil. But, since you’ve chosen to be a dick about it rather than just clarifying what you actually used for your soil, I’ve no interest in helping you now or at any time in the future. Go fuck yourself. Welcome to the ignore list.

“some inorganic part and some organic part” does not tell anyone anything about your soil. But, since you’ve chosen to be a dick about it rather than just clarifying what you actually used for your soil, I’ve no interest in helping you now or at any time in the future. Go fuck yourself. Welcome to the ignore list.
Thank you, id rather interact with people that are polite and dont act like dicks for no reason :)

Fine particles in bonsai pots is not ideal. Short term probably not a problem but may gradually cause issues with water in the pots. Most soil can be OK provided you manage watering to suit.
I think the trees should be OK for a year. Repotting again after a month is not a good idea.
Yea i guess it might be bad for drained long term, i heard it makes the soil hold moisture. Thanks for the answear.
Anyways the most important point i wanted to clarify is about the repotting period of time since it is not the first time i potted a tree and only later found to be a bad soil.

Have some humility when you're reaching out for advice. There was no reason whatsoever to attack @Lorax7 like that. If you hurt the people who are trying to help you, they'll stop trying to help you.

Have some humility when you're reaching out for advice. There was no reason whatsoever to attack @Lorax7 like that. If you hurt the people who are trying to help you, they'll stop trying to help you.
Well, i am not proud of being rude to someone else, but i cant see why i am the only one being called out. The discussion went very fine and i actually felt like it was closed since i got the responses i needed. Lorax was the first one to be rude for literally no reason whatsoever. I am sorry for being offensive in this forum but at least i wasnt offensive for no reason.

Back
Top Bottom