Bonsai Wars Episode II : Attack of The Thrips

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So yea all my bonsai have thrips on them 🙄 i live in a small apartment with a balcony so i noticed one tree with them and sure enough all of them have them now. There isnt any visual damage yet. I am unsure how I caught it so early. I can see a few on each tree. I havent seen any adults yet, all babies. Also havnt seen any "colonies" they seem to be spread throughout the plant. So the gameplan for right now is to treat every single plant I have as its infected because I literally dont have to means right now to quarentine plants.

I have ordered some natural pure unscented soap online coming today, as well as blue sticky traps.

First going to spray the trees down with a hose to knock off as many thrips as possible, then spray the tree down with a homemade insecticidal soap of the following recipe:

2.5 tbsp of vegetable oil
2.5 tbsp of pure soap
1 gallon of water

And will repeat in 4 days.

I know people here have had issure with thrips so if antbody wants to share their expertise with me it would be highly appreciated. This is my first time dealing with thrips. I have heard they are incredibly hard if not immpossible to get rid of completely. So my mind set as of right now is to keep them at bay, and next year spray everything down as soon as they go outside for spring.

Top Bottom