Brand new to Bonsai, bought a 25 year old tree, Pines turning brown, worried It might be dying

Oh Susanna

Seed
Reaction score
The new growth is healthy and green. The old growth is being shaded out and turning brown. I dont see a problem with it from the pictures you’ve shown.

I do recommend cleaning the foliage by removing weak growth, bottom growth, and crotch growth where applicable.
More bonsai pros are recommending that you leave crotch growth so you have something to cut back to. And only cut back to inside growth, not to a bare branch with nothing green on it!

dbiggs

Seedling
Reaction score
UPDATE @ShadyStump & @rockm : Been awhile but the Bonsai is doing great, been looking fantastic,
Issue I am seeing now though is that as it gets colder, the chopstick trick keeps telling me I really don't need to water it but once a week. But the bonsai is currently not looking very good, has a lot of dead needles and the color is fading on the whole plant, I am concerned that it is due to the cold weather, I live in Tulsa OK. any tips/ tricks for Bonsais in the cold months? It gets freezing here at night but us okay sometimes during the day.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
UPDATE @ShadyStump & @rockm : Been awhile but the Bonsai is doing great, been looking fantastic,
Issue I am seeing now though is that as it gets colder, the chopstick trick keeps telling me I really don't need to water it but once a week. But the bonsai is currently not looking very good, has a lot of dead needles and the color is fading on the whole plant, I am concerned that it is due to the cold weather, I live in Tulsa OK. any tips/ tricks for Bonsais in the cold months? It gets freezing here at night but us okay sometimes during the day.
Sounds likely it is just going dormant for the winter so it’s normal.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Watering only once a week or even less is normal in winter conditions. The tree is dormant, so it uses very little water at all. You're mostly just keeping the roots from dehydrating.
Winter is about the only time I have issues of over watering in my climate. Some times I'll water without checking the soil just because it's been weeks, they have to be dry, right? Nope. Winter is the only time I've ever gotten root rot, and all because I didn't check the soil first.

dbiggs

Seedling
Reaction score
@ShadyStump @Bonsai Forest Update pics below, I will also be moving to colorado in a few weeks, any tips on keeping it healthy there? Is it okay out in the snow?
I have no performed any pruning at all, what is the purpose of pruning? when should I do it?

Attachments

• IMG_0243.jpg
    IMG_0243.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0244.jpg
    IMG_0244.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 37

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Shady will be much more capable to speak to Colorado, but I believe J. procumbens is pretty hard, so it will likely be fine with some amount of winter protection.

Pruning is one of the key tools in the bonsai toolbox. It is a way of giving shape to the tree, setting a direction that is advantageous both horticulturally and aesthetically. In the case of a juniper, it’s also a necessary step to “refresh” the plants foliage, as any individual green piece will only stay on the tree for a handful of years (I’ve heard 3 or 4).

In terms of timing, it largely depends on the species, but I’ve had great success pruning J. procumbens at any time of the growing season. It is highly responsive, in that it will put out new growth at places where you made cuts.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@ShadyStump @Bonsai Forest Update pics below, I will also be moving to colorado in a few weeks, any tips on keeping it healthy there? Is it okay out in the snow?
I have no performed any pruning at all, what is the purpose of pruning? when should I do it?
Where in Colorado? I'm in Cañon City.

Pruning, like @pandacular said, helps get old foliage out of the way so new, healthier foliage can take it's place. That's the practical aspect of it.
Aesthetically, you want to maintain the look and style of the tree, or maybe even restyle it into something new. Using the search function on the site will help you learn about that, and don't be afraid to ask questions. People here are always ready to talk technique.

In terms of winter storage here in Colorado, a procumbens will manage the cold alright in most places in the state, and it won't mind snow at all. We do often get EXTREME temperature swings, though; like sometimes upwards of 40+F differences inside of 24 hours, and 50F swings aren't unheard of. Those swings are more dangerous than anything else to a tree in winter. You'll want to keep it on the ground near the house, but on the north side where the temps are more constant, even if colder. Inside an unheated garage that never gets above 50F will also work. You also REALLY want to protect it from wind in winter.
There are other options and techniques as well, but we'd need to know more about your living and working situation before those are relevant.
Summers here have their own unique challenges as well, but one thing at a time.

Bonsai Forest

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Glad to see the tree is doing well :) Cheers Thanks

Top Bottom